Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1995 Yamaha Vmax
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fully restored '95 Vmax. As far as I know, I'm the only person in the world wrapping these things. Debating if I should keep or sell. What is a sled like this worth? Everything on it works as it should, recently serviced.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
3,706 Posts
All depends on the area and country. Here in Wisconsin maybe 1200-1400 if you are lucky. Snowmobiles are a dime a dozen here since they put in that law about that says not only do people who live here have to register but also buy a yearly trail pass so people are quitting left and right since then especially once their kids are sick of snowmobiling.

· Registered
1995 Yamaha Vmax
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All depends on the area and country. Here in Wisconsin maybe 1200-1400 if you are lucky. Snowmobiles are a dime a dozen here since they put in that law about that says not only do people who live here have to register but also buy a yearly trail pass so people are quitting left and right since then especially once their kids are sick of snowmobiling.
I've never heard of a trail pass... man that really sucks, but doesn't surprise me. Our state just almost doubled the registration fees to help the clubs maintain the trails (or so they say).

· Registered
3,706 Posts
They raised our 2 year trail pass rates as well when they did that. Which I have no issues with but I have major issues with being charged 30 dollars per snowmobile every year unless I join a club and then its 10 bucks per snowmobile. Well as someone who's parents and myself were founding members of a club in Illinois in the Coal City/Morris/Wilmington area we got out after 2 years because it is and was nothing but political and cliques. Now don't get me wrong clubs have their place and are useful but not everyone wants to be in a club, has the time or wants to ride more then a couple times a year. I know of at least 4 families ranging from 4 people to as many as 8 who all sold their setups because they were not paying 30 bucks per snowmobile. The smaller clubs warned this would happen but the big money clubs like minoqua and hayword and others wanted that money. NO club is ever hurting for money in this state and if by some chance they are it is their own fault. Without clubs we don't have trails and I get that understand that and what not. But basically they want everyone in a club and sry a club is not for everyone especially people who ride only a couple times a year or that don't have the time.

· Registered
3,706 Posts
Plus the politicians in office saw it as a way for more tax money as well and so did the DNR which is beyond corrupt in Wisconsin. If they had just come out and said "hey 40 bucks every 2 years." no one would have said boo about it for registration fees. They claim 3 years now on registration stickers since that law was put in but every time I renew it is 2 years.

· Super Moderator
397 Posts
As President of our club (lhsc.net) and as past board member of PSSA and Treasurer of that org for 10 years, I have experience in this area. Lots of people complain about the registration and trail pass costs. But the truth is that it is needed to pay for stuff for clubs that actually get the trail work done and groom the trails you ride on. It's one thing to be cheap but in the sport of snowmobiling nothing related to trail riding is cheap. Unless you want to ride your own land and that's not cheap either to maintain. I have an argument with those who don't want to pay. We have trail systems in PA where it's mostly on private land and there's tons of people there that don't register their sleds let alone insure them. It's illegal in Pa. But in the LHSC riding area we are on mostly State Parks and State Forests land. And as such they have enforcement officers that "get" those that don't register and ride illegally. And there's basically nobody who will ride this area unregistered as a result. Which is fine by me. You wanna ride, you gotta pay.
As for clubs, what is needed IMO is two types of people. And a two tier pay system. Which is exactly what we do at the LHSC. Yeah, we have a clubhouse and 15 acres of property. That costs money to keep up. But, we do need members to help keep it all running smoothly. Yeah, we don't get many to help out and those who usually show up are board members. So, for working three days a year at the club and trail workdays, we offer a reduced membership. That allows those who help to pay less. I'm cheap, I've helped for years and haven't paid a full membership in over 30 years. Those who "don't have the time" can pay and they do. It's just how it should be. A lower cost for those who help out. And a higher cost for those who don't. See we need that two types of members. One pays more cause they just "want to ride" and not do any work related and then their money can help for those things by the ones who do the work and put the time in. See, simple.

As for corruption in the government, yes, there's always a lot of that. But the truth is we snowmobilers have for years benefitted from ATV/Snowmobile funding. Usually, the ATV group gets screwed and since they have basically no representation in Government (unlike all the snowmobilers) they end up with a pool of money from both and we use their money too cause they basically get screwed over. In the last 30 years snowmobiling has been the dominate sport of the two, but lately within the last 10 ATV's have passed us by badly. Now, they pay out the nose and get little while snowmobiling benefitted. Sure, that's changed a little in Pa lately with laws in the legislature that have forced the DCNR to provide paid funding areas for ATV's but most complain about them cause they still have to pay to use them (sound familiar). In Pa, you gotta pay to play. ATV's or Snowmobiles. While I only follow Pa's laws I'd bet it's similar everywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts