Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 viper and really not to familiar with sled mechanics yet, The other day we got our first storm (17 inches finally snow) and after about 2 hours of relentless kicking the crap out of it I let my 11 year old daughter ride it around the yard. After about 20 minutes she came to a point where she could not manuver around something so she left it running and came to get me. When I got to the sled I picked up the tail and pointed it in the right direction for her, when she got back on the sled and hit the gas it sounded like something was going to explode on the clutch side and it would move only about an inch and rock back. I shut it down and opened it up to check and see if I could find anything wrong. I could spin the drive clutch(primary) by hand but only backwards and I could not move the driven clutch at all. I closed it up and tried it again and it still made the same metal clanking sound. So I started to pull the sled back to the garage, in that much snow I got fed up tring and decided to try it again, started it up and all was good. I rode it for about another 45 minutes and just before I put it away I took it down the street about 70 mph for about 500 yards I hit the brakes and when I tried to get back on the gas it did the same thing but when I let off the gas and hit it again it was ok. I have ridden it 2 other times now for a total of about an hour and everything seems fine, but now Im not sure if I can trust the sled, I dont want that to happen a few miles out into the trails some night. Everyone I speak to has different ideas bad clutch,frozen caliper, frozen track ect. I dont really know anyone that knows alot about sleds. the sled only has 850 miles on it and Im sure the belt is good along with the track being properly adjusted. I find it hard to belive the clutch is bad already although I guess anything is possible. Please help thanx

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I WOULD TRY PUTTING THE SLED IN A WARM SPOT TO THAW IT OUT MIGHT HAVE ICE IN IT THAT GETS IN THE RIGHT SPOT AND BINDS THINGS UP, ALSO WITH 850 MILES TRY CHECKING THE CHAIN ADJUSTMENT IT MIGHT HAVE STRECHED ENOUGH TO GET BOUND ON THE SPROCKETS AND MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BREAKS ARE NOT HANGING UP HOPE THIS HELPS.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
that same thing happened to my '95 zr 580. what it was is the rollers in the driven clutch were shot. 1 of 'em was almost completely gone, and the clutch wasn't coming all the way out. it cost about $70 to rebuild it myself, and it runs great now. does the sled "jump" forward when you pull the cord? thats what mine did. let us know what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts