Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an engine out of an XLT that I bought. The previous owner said it was out of a '93 and is a 580cc. Well I looked at the numbers and its a 600cc and I'm still trying to figure out the year of the engine. The model number is 98-00106. Does that make it a '98 engine? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Post some pictures of all the numbers and the engine. If it has the 5 port oil pump then most likely it is a '98 as that was the update they did to those that year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a couple photos. It probably wont be much help as I bought the engine partially taken apart. I did not receive the oil pump with it either so I can't say for sure on the number of ports for the oil pump. Also the water cover is a pink/red.
Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
What does it say underneath that bolt? I know it says 58 something but the rest is covered up. Check the service manual it should have engine ID in there as well. It if didn't come with the oil pump and it was the 5 port then he kept it to sell it. As those are hard to come by out on their own and they get a pretty penny for them starting around this time.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
The number that Coolhand is looking for should say EC58PL-xx where xx is 01 through 150. -01 was the 93 580.

Interesting, the numbers we can make out are "EC58PL-" and then on the other side of the bolt it has "8cc"

None of the EC58 motors from 1990-1995 have a CC that ends in 8. Either 597 or 596. There is an EC65 that is a 648cc

In 1996 there is a 598, but it is a EC59PL-

You could measure the bore and see if it is 65mm. (597cc) There is a EC58 that is a 62.5mm board (98 XCR).

From what I can guess, I think Coolhand nailed it. From a 98 Indy XLT Classic. EC58PL150

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Only reference I can find from 1995 through 2001 of that motor is the 1998 Indy XLT SP. Manual says 597cc, but I'd trust the stamp on that matter.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If you end up using that engine make sure you find that 5 port oil pump otherwise you could cause issues. That is what it came with and was a HUGE upgrade for those XLT engines as it fixed a lot of the oil issues they were having up to that point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you end up using that engine make sure you find that 5 port oil pump otherwise you could cause issues. That is what it came with and was a HUGE upgrade for those XLT engines as it fixed a lot of the oil issues they were having up to that point.
So what your saying is that I should not run premix and do an oil pump delete?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wouldn't but that is me. That 5 port oil pump should have lines going from the pump to the crankcase in a couple spots to get that oil to the crankshaft that it needs. Those engines were known for that and by '98 they had the extra oil hole drilled in the crankshaft and more oil going to them to stop crankshaft failures that they were prone to for many years. Also if you are putting the P-85 clutch from your old XLT engine or w/e those had wide rollers IIRC and either way it should be rebalanced as Polaris was not known for having good balanced clutches from factory. Every new snowmobile we got in regardless of model we would take the clutch off and send it out for balancing and then put it back on. That way we KNEW it was good from the day it was sold and provided a receipt with the new owners as proof and in their file so they couldn't come back on us for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't but that is me. That 5 port oil pump should have lines going from the pump to the crankcase in a couple spots to get that oil to the crankshaft that it needs. Those engines were known for that and by '98 they had the extra oil hole drilled in the crankshaft and more oil going to them to stop crankshaft failures that they were prone to for many years. Also if you are putting the P-85 clutch from your old XLT engine or w/e those had wide rollers IIRC and either way it should be rebalanced as Polaris was not known for having good balanced clutches from factory. Every new snowmobile we got in regardless of model we would take the clutch off and send it out for balancing and then put it back on. That way we KNEW it was good from the day it was sold and provided a receipt with the new owners as proof and in their file so they couldn't come back on us for it.
It won't be going back into a snowmobile, that's why I was wondering. Plus with how hard it is to find the oil pump I didn't know if I could get away with pre-mix.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ah well okay then. What is it going in then?

3085441 is the part number. eBay shows 2 one NIB and the other for 20 bucks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah well okay then. What is it going in then?

3085441 is the part number. eBay shows 2 one NIB and the other for 20 bucks

Im building a dirt drag racing go kart.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
With a XLT engine? Good grief! You can try mixing it just make sure you have the right ratio. Also with it being a triple you are really going to have to do some serious carb testing in that kind of heat with that engine. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With a XLT engine? Good grief! You can try mixing it just make sure you have the right ratio. Also with it being a triple you are really going to have to do some serious carb testing in that kind of heat with that engine. Good luck!
Yea, I'll need the luck haha, would I go with bigger or smaller jets?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts