Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me a Yamaha 340 (enticer??) that is probably in the era of the early '80s. It runs like a banshee for it's size, real scooter. The engine is fresh but soon I'd like to help it in the appearance dept....it's butt ugly. Somebody has fastened an exciter hood on it with bungee cords (the hood looks like the 79s) and the seat is needing some upholstery or replacement.

How do I identify model and year of this sled? Also, do I stand a decent chance of finding a good cowl/hood and seat for this sled.....hate to just let it go to the junk pile when mechanically it's healthy. How about Ebay?

Thanx

Ryp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After searching the web for pix it looks to be an '80....maybe the 81. It has the fuel guage tube on the left of the tank and oil gauge tube on the right. Seat has a semi-backrest (not the wedge style).

Ryp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just wanted to post this for anyone else that might have the same question (production date on vintage sleds) on yamaha sleds.

The dealer will give you the build date if you shoot him the V.I.N. that is stamped on the tunnel down by where your right foot rides...it's stamped, not a plate.

Mine begins with 80X-******* and figures to be an '86 Enticer.

Now I can buy a hood for this thing.

Ryp

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
i had one of those.. well 2 actually.. a 1988 and a 1984... the 84 was a short track model.. VERY short track.. less than a bravo 250!!

it would go to 70 MPH ( car speedo tested) oh and get this that thing would scream for a 340 and from the sound of it, versus a friend of mines 85 longtrack, i'd say it would rev alot higher, and did i by checking close enough we saw it was a 299cc!!

this hing was faster for the first 300 feet than a 88 phazer

it was bullet proof.. exept for the rear suspension.. whcih was crap.

good buy anyway :)

Fr0st

1 - 8 of 8 Posts