Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a snowmobile for riding backcountry skiing. What should I look for to get me and a buddy up the mountain in deep snow? Basically I want the cheapest thing that will do the job but how old, junky, small can I go? So far I've gathered that I need at least a 144 track and 600cc is good but that's about it.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Look for a 96-2000 Summit, preferably with a 2 up seat on it. 583 or 670.

2 up seat from a Skandic or Touring will work on a Summit of the same era.

Skandic WT is another one that will go just about anywhere and you wouldn't need that big of an engine. The 500 or better would be fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a 144 track, and now I have a sled with a 151. All of our riding is mountain style riding, and I must add having the longer track is much better for those types of riding. IMO.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
just my 2 cents...I mt ride and backcountry ski and I hear a lot of rumblings in the snowmobile community about how sick of having a day of riding ruined because of having to help out skiers on old sleds that don't know what they are getting into...I would say rent a good one first and see if it is something you want to do. Its harder than you think handling a machine in the backcountry let alone with 2 inexperienced riders on one, going up hill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2002 Arctic cat 1M 900 or the new skidoo tundra extreme with the 36' stance. If you want to spend the money though the 2016 burton special summit has a 800 154 with a rack for mounting snowboards and skis and it has a 2 up seat without the head rest.

Check it out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts