Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, last night i went out riding for first time this season...didnt have a balaclava and i noticed my chin area and neck getting quite the windchill factor and getting really cold. Anyway, i went out today and bought a cheap balaclava since im still waiting for my Castle Proclava to arrive at our local powersports store. It was about 0 deg tonight with a pretty good windchill again and i put the cheap balaclava on that i bought. My neck was still getting really really cold even with the balaclava on. Is this normal? I thought balaclavas were used to keep your neck warm.

Anyway, the point here is, if balaclavas arent meant to keep your neck warm, what do you guys wear to keep your chin/neck warn down to your coat. The past 2 nights thats the ONLY area of concern for me as far as body parts getting cold.

Let me knw what to start looking for so i dont keep getting cold neck syndrome!

·
Snowmobile Freak!!!!!
224 Posts
I use a thick scarf under my neck and tuck the slack in your jacket and It keeps my chin and my cheeks pretty warm.

·
Repair Shop Owner
528 Posts
I use a thick scarf under my neck and tuck the slack in your jacket and It keeps my chin and my cheeks pretty warm.
X2 plus the balaclava.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
I have heavy camo hunting shirts with 2 layer turtle necks sewn into them but I cant remember where I bought them. the tag says sasquatch, very warm shirts

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
My HJC floater coat has a thick and high collar with a velcro strap to keep the front closed tight. It tucks right tight to my helmet and keeps the wind out on all but the coldest days. When temps drop to around -20C (-4F), I put on a thin balaclava mainly to keep my head warm as I like to keep all the vents open for ventillation. I've used a dickie in the past and liked it but it disappeared a few years ago during my non-sledding years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts