Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a touring machine, right now I have it down to two, both are 2009 but they are new leftovers , Yamaha Venture Rs and the Polaris FST IQ Touring. Both are on par for price. Would appreciate any and all insight into these machines, and what you think would be my best purchase. I am 57yrs old and the wife is the same. Most would be trail riding and ever now and then off the beaten path. My last machine is a 1993 AC Jag AFS which I still have and only has 3600 miles on it and still in very good shape, after 18 yrs thought it time to upgrade lol. Would be open to other suggestions for other choices of machines also. Thanks for any info that you can give me

·
I ride, therefore I am...
46 Posts
Sir,

What is your location? Also, what type of riding areas would you see yourself normally using? I was going to give you my .02 worth, but I wanted to make sure I had an idea of where you'll primarily be riding the machines...

These links may get you started for a comparison, if you haven't already done a good search/comparison on paper:

2009 Yamaha RS Venture GT Specs

2009 Polaris FST IQ Touring Specs

You can obviously see what brand I'm partial to, but Yami makes a good machine as well.

Kilroy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Nfld Canada, I would mostly be on groomed trails with the odd time being on the trails that mother nature leaves us. Most of our riding would be pleasure riding without any obstacles. I have done a lot research so was hoping now to get insight from people that know a lot more than I do about the machines. The Venture is just the standard RS model and not the GT. Hope you can shed some light on the subject

·
I ride, therefore I am...
46 Posts
I've watched plenty of episodes of snowtrax tv to know what the Lester brothers would be telling you right now. Although I recall that they like the 4 stroke technology due to emissions, they have favored the polaris IQ over the yami on some very close shootouts for several reasons, weight being one of them. I seem to recall an episode, filmed not far from your home province, that compared between the exact same sleds you are eying. The end result was the IQ for weight, reduced darting on the trail, fuel consumption, and ergonomics.

Did anybody else catch that episode, who can back (or scoff) what I'm writing.

Note: I'm not sure how much sponsor money goes towards the results, but I'd suppose there is this to ponder...

My opinion is that either sled would be a damn good sled for the use you suggest. Maybe you could ride them both, and then decide. It's like picking out a puppy, you'll never know what you're missing once you take your choice home.

Kilroy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kilroy ,
I wish I could try them out but there's not a flake of snow here , temperatures still ranging in 6 to 10 C daytime. Was more concerned with issues with both machines, I know Yamaha has a track record for reliability but some riders say they make alot of noise from the track and some even say the motor at certain speeds also say they are very tippy. Cant really find to much on the FST in the way of user rating or reliability , or problems encounter over the long term. Thats why I was hoping to get some input on the forum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just checked the DVR and that episode has been removed but i feel that the yami gas mileage was much better, not a 100% on this but thought so.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My parents have the 2009 venture and they find it a bit tippy, but besides that it is amazing, really comfertable and has more pep the the 1200 BRP mxz's. You should deffentily get the venture!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
the plaris engine is made by some german company that i cant remember off the top of my head, but id guess it is reliable since i havent heard of any problems with them, and the yamis are notorious for being a pain to change the oil, i dont know if this is true with the triple or if the polaris is any better, but something to consider

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
The turbo might make the FST a bit more finicky than the Venture. The FST is a 750 twin, and the Venture is a 1000cc triple. FST obviously has the turbo, but the Venture is straight motor. Yamaha has proven to have reliable machines since they've gone all 4 stroke. I've done a little bit of reading on the FST but have never found much about reliability. I'm pretty sure the Polaris would be lighter and have a more firm cornering feel. The IQ chassis is an awesome one. It really would come down to personal preference...which one you like the look of better, rider/passenger position, etc. Both would serve you well, though.

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
The turbo might make the FST a bit more finicky than the Venture. The FST is a 750 twin, and the Venture is a 1000cc triple. FST obviously has the turbo, but the Venture is straight motor. Yamaha has proven to have reliable machines since they've gone all 4 stroke. I've done a little bit of reading on the FST but have never found much about reliability. I'm pretty sure the Polaris would be lighter and have a more firm cornering feel. The IQ chassis is an awesome one. It really would come down to personal preference...which one you like the look of better, rider/passenger position, etc. Both would serve you well, though.
X2 well put!Its a close race but for reliability check this out about the yami
Yamaha Sled Talk 2009 March

Im in favor of the yami due to the tried and trued 4 stroke 120 hp 1000 cc engine!Thats just me.About the polaris I really don't know much about the 750 turbos but do about the iq chassis,I have also heard good reviews about the iq chassis.The choice is yours!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your comments , still not completely decided , but leaning towards the 2009 venture rs , the best price I can get on this sled is $11,000 Canadian out the door , do you think this is a reasonable price to pay for this, in actuality this sled is new but also 2 yrs old now.

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
The Venture is one nice machine. That would be my choice!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother has the Rs Venture 2006 model, nice machine , as for price dont really know if thats a good deal or not for a 2009. Youre saying thats with fees and taxes in, maybe someone else can you a better idea on the price. If the price is right , dont think you can go wrong with the machine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts