Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a sled with a digital egt gauge for each cylinder. i am diagnosing problems with it and would like to know what normal operation EGTs would be (idle, midrange, and WOT)? it is a 98 RMK 700. right now i am getting 150-200* difference between cylinders and dont know why. carbs are set up identical.

also, i want the engine to be as reliable and last as long as possible. what is the max EGT i should see?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
don't worry about max, it is going to vary wildly between different engines. first tune the engine perfectly without ever looking at the gauges, and then use that as your baseline.

as for the difference, swap the probes first to rule that out.

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
The max is going to depend on location of the prob. The max you should ever see is 1350(melting point of alum) But you can have a WOT reading of 1200 with out trouble, I shoot for 1100-1150. Idle can be down to about 400 or less and mid range should be in the 800-1000 range.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
The placement of the probe should be in the instructions for your system.

I ran my 700 at 1250-1275 WOT, about 1150 midrange, and it would see about 650-700 at idle after the engine was warmed up. Like KC said, anything over 1350 is pretty warm and would indicate a really lean condition (but not always! Sometimes the mix is so rich that you get burning of the fuel IN the exhaust and creates an artifical high exhaust temp).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.