Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to buy another sled (polaris) but have heard that certain years and models had cranks prone to failure. Can anyone offer some advice on which ones to stay away from? Funds kind of dictate that I will not be getting a 2000 or newer model (unless the price was right) which is fine by me as I like the the look of the '90s stuff anyway as long as it's in good shape. I'm leaning towards XC or XCR 600 or bigger. Any other issues besides cranks I should be aware of in that era? I have a '92 RXL 650 now that I love when it's not giving me fits but buying another EFI seems like I'd just be asking for trouble....lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
01-05 800s all had crank problems. some of the 800s have ran for a long time with no problems and others have had problems from right out of the crate. its just the luck of the draw when you buy one i think. if you get one make sure it has had the wide bearing update done and if not it is well worth the money to have it installed.

·
Super Moderator
17,874 Posts
Some of the early XLT's had lube issues with the crank, resulting in failure. There were fixes to increase the oil to the outside crank bearings. As CSarge said, the 800 big block is a crank grenade. The 05-06 900 (866cc) has had many issues as well. The 06 700 (755cc) was only made in 2006, it runs ok but there won't be many of those around to find parts off of if you need them. Polaris also had horrible issues with the 08 800 small block, hopefully those are cured by now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Those are prob all newer than I'll be looking at now. I thought I had heard that some of the '90's XC & XCR 600's were prone to failure. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
like bcdan said the earlier xlt's had some problems. they maid both a 580 and a 600 to go in the xlt's and i believe it was only the 600's that had problems. im not positive but that may be the 600 motor problem your hearing about. my family has a 94 xlt with the 580 in it as just a spare left bone stock except for a 136 track and we have never had a bit of trouble with it and it has a million miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the 95 and 96 600 triples had alot of crank proplems but in 97 they got it fixed, I have a 97 600XC and have like 6500 hard miles on it and no problems, put pistions and rings in it at 5000 miles but nothing else

·
Registered
24 Posts
im curious on weither the crank problems would be my prob im runnin the 03 800 rmk and find it awesome. only reason got it was from a friend. and price was right. but ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts