Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1980 Lynx 2000T for my 8 year old daughter to ride and am having spark problems. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the CDI or stator. It will not spark most of the time, then suddenly start sparking in both cylinders perfectly. I even took it for a quick spin around the yard and let it run for a few minutes and it was just fine. I shut it down and attempted to restart it again. No spark. So I replaced the ignition coil pack thinking that was it, but it wasn't. All the safety switches (throttle, ignition and kill switch) work perfectly. All the coils were resistance checked and came in well within spec.

So now I'm going to try replacing the CDI. Unfortunately it currently has a Kimpex CDI on it so I don't have an AC part number and need to find out what production year the sled is so that I can order the correct one. The '79 used a different CDI than the '80 model.

The machine was produced on 02/79 and its serial number is 0005471.

If somebody could tell me for sure what year this thing is I can order the CDI and hopefully get the thing going soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
JUDGING FROM THE DATE OF MANUFACTER,IT IS A '79. HOPE THIS HELPS.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm ASSUMING it's a 1980 since the date of manufacture is 02/79 but I'm not sure. It could just as easily be a late production 1979. I don't know for certain. That's why I asked.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
my guess is it a late '79 the usally start production on new models
in fall around sept.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Creig said:
Well, I'm ASSUMING it's a 1980 since the date of manufacture is 02/79 but I'm not sure. It could just as easily be a late production 1979. I don't know for certain. That's why I asked.
oh sorry, there is no plate on the sled anywhere that says the model year? Judging by that build date I'd says it's a 79

1 - 6 of 6 Posts