Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at putting new woody carbide on my 1998 sled to help with really bad darting. Got to looking at the skis and I am not sure what they are. They look like they have a metal plate on the spindle, then a pink plastic layer, then a black plastic ski...on the bottom they don't really look like carbides, but more like a piece of metal running down the center of them them.

Any idea what these are and if I can put a woody dual carbide on them?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
that metal thing running down the center of it is your carbide. well it is your wear bar. your carbids are on them and if they are still good they will be 4,6,or 8 inches long. each piece is 2 inches long and is pointy.not sure if dual will work on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, looks like I have the bars running the length of ski and seem to have located those 2 inch things toward the rear of them. Very small.

It would appear the Woody items have a great deal more surface area to help with steering.

anyone have any thoughts?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
all i put on my sleds are woody ones. now when getting them it depends on whaqt you ride on on what ones to get. if you don't ride on much ice at all then just get the 4 inch if you ride on a lake alot then get 6 or 8 inch is even better. but no matter what one you get if you ride on the road a lot it will kill them fast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
pics of the skis? that would help the most

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
i know what ones he has. they are the metal and plastic ones like on xlt's and stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is correct..the plastic and metal ones...do I even need to replace those or just the runners?

i ordered the normal double woodys in 4 inch...(all I ride is ditches)...not the slim jim.

really looking forward to getting them!

thanks for helping me learn about all this stuff...by the way indy...what kind of skis do you run ...OEM?

·
Registered
24 Posts
SLP ultra lites? or factory polaris steelies with skins?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
i would have to say the ultra lites. but if he gave us what sled they was on then it would help also. i know the xlt and ultra had the same lites and think a few others. but yes a pic or sled would help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out and toock a pic...but not sure how to get it on a post here.

Ski seems to have (3) layers..."wire" metal layer on top. Purple plastic layer in middle. Black plastic layer on bottom.

Hope that helps...if you want to tell me how to get a pic on here I can post that as well.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
but unless the person before you changed them you have metal skis with plastic ski skins on them. sounds like 2 sets of skins. yes you can get double runners for it. but if you want to spend the money get aftermarket plastic ones with the outboard keels on them. the stop most the darting on the trails. they run about $350 a pair. or they may even have ski skins with them on it. or even look on ebay I got mine last year for $100 brand new

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
they are not stock for your sled.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok guys...I put the dual wood 4 inchers on...wow, what a difference! Thanks for all the recommendations. Next year I will look to put on "real" plastic skis, although for just running out in the bean field and down a few ditches, I don't know if I will see much of a difference.

I really appreciate the help figuring out what I had with these skis...this is a great forum!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts