Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned carbs trying to fix an issue I thought I would put it back together and see how it runs with clean carbs. Upon reassembly I found the wire to this solenoid looking thing was broke. I also discovered that this aluminum manifold thing doesn't exist in any parts diagrams for a 1998 Summit. Can someone please tell me what they are? Both the solenoid thing and the manifold that it inserts into.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It looks like someone made a custom Pressure Manifold Assembly (PMA). Are you sure that is a 1998? MFG date of 1998 means it is a 1999. Or maybe a 1999 motor in a 1998 sled?
They went from HAC to DPM in those years. HAC was a round can that attached to a hole the airbox. DPM was a plastic tube about 7" long that attached to brackets on the airbox.

Normally the PMA is made of plastic, but were known to break off the little nipples. Most people would just replace the nipples with brass inserts, but that looks like someone replaced the entire thing with aluminum one. I wonder if some 3rd party was making and selling them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MFG Date of November 97.
I had another guy just now look at it and he thought it was some sort of electric choke? There are 2 of the solenoids on the manifold. I Was able to solder the broken wire back on for now and I'll try to start it tomorrow. It's beginning to look like it's been heavily modified. The oil injection has also been bypassed. (The throttle cable going to the pump is not attached anymore and they have the hose coming out of the 2 cycle oil tank plugged off with a bolt.) I wasn't told that by the guy I bought it from nor told that I should be mixing oil with gas. I would have thought I would have burned up the engine by now? How else would the motor be getting oil?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a pic of one on ebay and they call it a "1998 98 SKI-DOO SUMMIT 670 X DPM / Altitude Pressure Manifold Solenoid". Apparently what I have here is a 670X? Or at least a part off of one. No to figure out how this thing gets lubrication.......or hasn't been getting lubrication.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - I'm feeling like the worlds dumbest guy tonight. I was able to contact the guy I bought the sled from and see the old messages we exchanged. He did in fact tell me it was a 670 and he also told me that the oil pump was bypassed and I needed to mix it with the gas. I don't know how I haven't seized it up yet. It's got to have so pretty major wear by now. I haven't actually put that many miles on it due to the overheating issue (less than a tank) but still.....it makes me sick thinking about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the fuel pump located? I thought it was under the carbs but have been told under the engine. I can see two square pump looking things - one in each of those locations. Would it have 2 fuel pumps?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Some had two fuel pumps, but the 670X also had an air pump under the motor as part of the DPM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts