Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 1997 XCR 600 Triple with 5000 kms. Seller says the head gasket is "leaking". How big of a fix is this? He says it starts first pull.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and if it's more than that? This is what the guy who's selling it told me...

when it got to operating temp it spit coolant out the overflow. at that point we had a sled mechanic that we know come to the house and he took a quick peek at it. he said that there was coolant leaking thru the head gasket into the combustion chamber as he noted that the smoke from the exhaust was a bit whiter than normal.

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
If it's leaking the coolant could possibly be getting into the engine, which isn't very good for it. I don't know if this engine uses o-rings or a head gasket, but either way a pretty simple fix. If it's o-rings, cover the o-rings in a little vaseline when you put them in to help them seal better, and do NOT over-torque the head, or you will just crush the o-rings and need to buy new ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
o-rings

I have a 99 xcr 600, with a 900 htg motor, base motor of an 800 storm. mine are o-rings on head, where can i get those? ive got a head leaking and took apart and found that i need o-rings and having a hard time finding them, any help truely would be appreciated.

thanks,

Shaun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.