Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told when I bought my last sled that it was bad to inject the oil through the pump and also mix it in the gas. The guy said it would mess up the oil pump. Is this true? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was when I bought my 1987 Polaris 600.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
That should be fine to do that on that sled. It's probably not too fussy about how rich the oil is since it isn't EFI. If you don't foul plugs, it shouldn't make a difference. I wouldn't mix it heavy (maybe around 100:1).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't do both on my sled, I am just wondering what would actually happen.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
it will smoke more then it should and maybe foul the plugs. but will be fine if it isn't mixed crazy heavy like 30:1 or anything like that. like stated 100:1 is cool.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think it would be smart to mix and inject? Or would it be fine to just inject it?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
should be fine to just inject. We just mix our outboard because it is a early version of VRO (injection) and has been known to fail.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
just inject. but make sure it is using it is all you have to worry about.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya that's what I was going to do, but first the snow needs to reappear lol. Also, what oil should I use? The previous owner used Yamalube.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
When I have had oil pump problems, or have done major engine work and have removed and replaced the oil pump, I mix the first tank of gas with oil at 50:1. I would much rather foul plugs than damage the engine from lack of lubrication caused by an air bubble in the oil pump or a pump that isn't working right.

It smokes like crazy. But I didn't foul plugs, and the sleds ran fine. Would I do it as a normal way of running the sled? Nope. Unless you have an engine with a known oiling problem, the oil pump is really reliable.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So should I run Yamalube in it or would any 2-cycle oil work? If not what do you guys think I should run in it?

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
You can run any oil that meets the TCW3 spec. That sled isn't picky. Some smells better than others. Yamalube is good stuff, if you have some, I would run it. I wouldn't mix oils, the oils mix ok but sometimes the additives companies put in their oils don't mix well with other companies additives and that can create problems.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it bad that the oil in the tank now is mixed then? I topped it off with some 2 stroke oil I had.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bump! Is it bad that the oil in the oil resovoir now is mixed (2-cycle and gas)? I topped it off with some mixed fuel

·
Registered
3 Posts
it will smoke more then it should and maybe foul the plugs. but will be fine if it isn't mixed crazy heavy like 30:1 or anything like that. like stated 100:1 is cool.
Have you found the idle become finicky and wanna rev a few seconds before dropping down? I'm having an issue w what seems to have an air leak but I believe my gas did thi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts