Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the "new to me" sled last Friday. 98 Indy 500 with 1447 miles on it. My first sled...out riding ditches tonight and all of a sudden the track "stops" if you will. Yep...wide open but nothing is moving...just crawling along. I get off the sled and "walk" it up the ditch onto the road. Let it rest a few minutes, then try to take off again. Advancing the throttle slowly it seems to "catch" and start going again. A few minutes and it is back to normal.

I am very new to sleds, but makes me wonder if water on the belt, bad belt, bad clutch...really I have no idea. Anyone else have one?

BTW...what rpm should the clutch engage...seems like have to be about 3500 rpm for it to hook up.

Thanks folks...appreciate any ideas

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It could be your belt, but it sounds like more than just a bad belt. Some of the things to check: your clutch center-center, engine mounts, your drivers, track tension, the center lugs of your track, or your chain and gears. Get the back end up in the air, inspect the center lugs and drivers, track tension, and then try running it with the back end up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yea the clutch should engage around 3000-4000 rpms, but it sounds that you have a clutch problem. If you have a spare belt, put that on and see if it does it then, if you have the same problems you can rule out the belt and its probably a clutch issue. I would check the tension of the track like JDS suggested

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It did it again today. Basically, if you are sitting still and in wet deep snow, it acts like trying to start a car in 4th gear. No power, no rpms, no movement. Called the dealer he said it is a secondary clutch problem, bring it in and we will fix it. So I hauled it back in tonight...hope to have it back before the big snow tommorrow night.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well guys, got it back to the dealer and he said the arctic cat belt that was on it was the wrong size. put a polaris belt on it and adjusted the clutches for proper belt tension. I have not had a chance to ride it other than loading and unloading from the trailer, but I will have a chance to ride a lot this weekend. Hoping that solves it.

Interestingly, he said the spare belt was incorrect as well..so he gave me a new one for that and replaced a bad bulb in the display.

Hopefully I will be up and running fine. My only question now...does the belt strech as it breaks in and what do I need to do about that?

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.