Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Fix the sled so you don't need it. If it has a choke, the choke isn't opening or it is plugged. If it has a primer, then you should be able to squirt enough fuel in there to get it running or flooded. If not, replace the primer.

The only reason you should need starting fluid is if it is -30 or colder and you don't want to waste much time starting, but even then it would be better to not use it at all. The only other reason would be low compression.

As far as using pre-mix. Why? The primer squirts straight gas directly into the engine side of the carb. Shouldn't make one bit of difference being premix or not.

If the the machine has a choke and no primer, put a primer on it and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
WD-40 is a solvent and while it burns, it doesn't burn very well. Better off just using gas.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
brake cleaner shouldn't burn. The idea of brake clean is to clean the brakes and be resistant to heat, so the customers' car doesn't burst into flames the first time they apply the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
brake cleaner shouldn't burn. The idea of brake clean is to clean the brakes and be resistant to heat, so the customers' car doesn't burst into flames the first time they apply the brake.
I know this is an old post but its one of the first to show up when you Google starting fluid alternatives so i want clarify that brake clean, atleast that stuff i use, is most certainly flammable. It is not intended to be nonflammable. It's used for brakes because it will break down oils n grease and itself will leave no residue behind. And i have witnessed it used to fire an engine in the past.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Straight Starting fluid i.e ether, not all of them come with that lubrication oil. Starting Fluid was created for Diesel engines. Now they do make some starting fluid with that lubrication but in some towns it can be hard to find. A small amount of gasoline mixed with oil does the same thing and no chance of a hole burning into your piston or washing away anything that the piston is coated with.

·
Super Moderator
18,375 Posts
I thought starting fluid was created for my old 1990 Indy 650 ;)

I have starting fluid with top end lubricant but most of the time, I use chainsaw gas. I always have some of that mixed for the saws and weed whacker and such. The starting fluid is sometimes a lot more convenient and never goes bad over time... so there is that...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Tbh the gas you get in your car at the pump is 4-6 months old when you put it in. Gas can last a long longer then people think.

·
Registered
26,185 Posts
First fire of the year I spray WD40 in and turn it over by hand then give it a shot of starting fluid!
Works for me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Used to fly model airplanes, in winter they didn't want to fire unless the fuel had plenty of nitro.
We used napha (cigarette lighter fluid) to light the fire, once fired up with a quick spurt they kept running fine.
Camping coleman fuel is good too. Propane torch on the cylinder sometimes.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I know this is an old post but its one of the first to show up when you Google starting fluid alternatives so i want clarify that brake clean, at least that stuff i use, is most certainly flammable. It is not intended to be nonflammable. It's used for brakes because it will break down oils n grease and itself will leave no residue behind. And i have witnessed it used to fire an engine in the past.
The two brake cleaners I usually have are the CRC and the Gunk. I've tried burning both and neither burns. Yes there are some Brake Cleaners that do burn. Carb Clean burns, but not really that well, compared to gas. For some fun, put gas in a squirt bottle on mist and see how well it burns... (disclaimer, it will burn faster that you can pump, so be prepared to drop the bottle into a fire safe area.)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts