Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Polaris XCF 440 fan cooled only 600 miles on the sled looks mint so he says and runs like new has asking 1,500 I talked him down to 1,400.

Good for the ditches?

Hp?

What kind of shock do they have?

Do you have to rejet it a lot?

I am looking for just a cheap ditch banger.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
It comes to a point where a sled that was barely ridden will have more problems then a sled with high mileage.. If it sits with old fuel in it, it will need all new fuel lines, carbs will need a good cleaning/rebuilt.. Yea thats general stuff, but it all adds up, and with winter bein here, I would think ud rather be ridin then workin!

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
I would say around 45 hp i think. The reed valved 550's are only about 55hp. It would be a decent sled, but isn't a powerhorse.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
45? Hahaha thats pretty whimpy! Keep lookin! I was concerned my sled would be a dog, and its pushin like 70hp!

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
you will have to go look at it to find out why only 600miles, could be many reasons if it runs good the rest should be in great shape.I bought a 2001 edge 550 with 400 miles+its like brand new,70+hp+will hall my 260 lbs. 75 mph on hard pack a lot lighter than my liquid edges, but ditch banging big curls+deep snow takes big HP in my book. to get that cant wipe this smile off my face look takes a 700 or 800 liquid to do the trick for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
^^^^ dissregard that comment lol

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
this good enough for ya?

History of the Z440 (Fan):

431cc fan engine has been around forever (since the 80's) offered with twin carbs, or single carbs. Single carb version put out less hp.

I know the 1995 440Z was a consumer sled (SnoPro was not available). The 1995-97 440Z put out 50hp (twin butterfly carbs). Engagement was about 3500RPM. The 440 fan engine was also offered in other models, but had a single carb. Engine output for single carb was about 42hp.

In 1998-99 the 440Z SnoPro was introduced. Advanced timing and a tuned pipe helped increase power to 56hp. Also, a stiffer primary spring raised engagement to 5500 RPM. Also may have had heavier weights and a compound helix (not sure on that one).

In 2000, the 440Z SnoPro had even more aggressive timing and pipe tuning. Power went to 62hp.

In 2002, the 440Z SnoPro underwent even more fine tuning. Power went to 67.5hp.

I have a 2000 440Z SnoPro. You cannot get an aftermarket can or pipe. Reason is because there is no room for improved power, so nobody makes them. Arctic Cat maxed out the performance by advanced timing and tuning the pipe. However, you can get clutch kits to change your powerband. I have the Black Magic Heartthrob clutch kit in the 2000 440Z SnoPro. Clutch engagement is about 5600 RPM, and it rip snorts off the line resulting in dramatic ski lift off the holeshot. It also pulls very hard in midrange. Starts to run out of steam toward top end, but still reaches over 80mph on hard pack or ice. Feels just like mildly tuned liquid cooled 500. From 50-80, it pulls slower than a performance liquid. However, I could easily beat older Polaris Indy 500's from 0-70mph. The 440ZSnoPro must be set up properly to kick ass. Make sure clutches are clean, make sure you are engaging at least 5500 RPM or higher, and make sure your belt is the correct one. Belt is important because it is a little motor, and cannot pull a longer belt. My 440Z SnoPro has no bogging. It is completely dialed in. However, it was not dialed in when I first got it. It bogged when I first got it. Previous owner raced it and just mismatched all clutch components when he got ready to sell it. That is primarily why I bought a clutch kit. I know Speedwerx also makes a clutch kit for the Z440 fan. I highly recommed a clutch kit for this racey little twin. It really wakes it up.

oh yea, bite me

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
Never thought a fan 440 even with timing key and sh!t would put out that much power. I can see a 440 l/c race engine on 110 octane running 110+hp. My brothers new 600 IQR puts out 135+hp on 92 octane.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
haha.. Yea, dont 550 fans only put out like 60ish?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
My sled would surprise ALOT of people.. when people hear fan, they immediatly think slow...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts