Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Indy Trail Touring 488 twin is having a problem with the carbs running out of gas after full throttle running for about 20 seconds. It seems I can run around quarter or half throttle for several miles but as soon as I open it up for any length of time it will start to bog. I replaced the fuel pump thinking that may be it but still have the same issue. Tonight when it did it I immediately pulled the carb and removed the bowl drain and there was nothing there. The fuel filter is full of fuel, I have also replaced the fuel lines, bowl needle and seat in both carbs as well as the fuel pick up screen in the tank. Is it possible that the fuel line in the tank is collapsing when the pump is sucking fuel? I have tried everything I can think of so I need your help.:dunno:

If I do not get this figured out I will have to miss the SF ride in MI and I don't want that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check that your float level is set correctly and the floats are moving freely.

·
Polaris
132 Posts
Check the pulse line to the fuel pump for cracks, pinching, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the pulse line to the fuel pump for cracks, pinching, etc.
I was thinking about this last night. Is it possible that the line is too flexible. When it gets warmed up the line flexes when getting the pulse so it expands rather than sending the pulse trough to the pump. I replaced the line a few weeks ago and it is about the same time the problems started. I am going to put a more rigid line on it tonight.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
The impulse line has to be rigid, it's alternately under compression and vacuum. If you used regular fuel line, that could be your problem. I thought your guess about the pickup line collapsing was pretty good, as well. That hose in the tank gets soft and ugly after sitting in the gas for years. It's not a bad maintenance item to replace it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It turned out not to be the pulse line. I replaced it and took it out and ended up with the same result. Started searching more and decided to fish the tank line up out of the tank to see if it may be collapsing and when I fished it up it came off the fitting in the front of the tank. That clear tubing when I installed it was very hard to fit over the fitting but after sitting in the fuel it expanded and allowed air to get sucked into the line. I replace the line with some high pressure fuel line still without a clamp though since I cannot find one that I can fit over the line and still get it into the tank hole. Even tried safety wire which once squeezed around the line did not appear to be any larger than the line itself but still no go. I am hoping this will not cause me problems in the future but if it does at least I know exactly where to look. I need to figure out what Polaris uses for that line and clamp and have it available just in case.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
Go to a chainsaw repair shop and get some of the gas line they use. I had the same issue with my 650; hose rotted off, put a new hose on, was pretty tight but not spectacular, couldn't get a clamp on it and put it back. I installed it anyway. Took 2 months before the end of the hose swelled up and the hose fell off. The stuff I got at the saw shop is TIGHT. You put it on, it won't come off unless you cut it off. The hose comes in different sizes, they should be able to match your application just fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I thought I had this thing figured out. I have run it several miles around the field pulling the kids and then I took off my myself across the field and the same problem arose. If WOT for long enough to empty the bowls it will start to bog as if the fuel pump is not keeping up with the carbs. As soon as it does this I stop and pull the hood while it is still idling and the fuel filter is full of fuel except for a small air bubble. If I shut it off and remove the carbs, pull the bowl drain a very little fuel comes out. I put the set of carbs off the other sled on and it does the same thing. I blew out the tank vent line thinking that may be it but nope. I put a new fuel pump on, still same. I checked the fuel pickup in the tank and it is still attached fine, not plugged up. I am so baffled here. I think I have tried everything possible aside from taking it to a stealer.

HELP!!!

By the way, I can run it all day long if not WOT.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Replace the fuel filter if you havent already. It may be restricted, also make sure you do not have it in backwards there is an arrow on it to indicate the direction of fuel flow

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuel filter is a good idea but I have already done that as well and still the same result.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine Inday trail.

Im having a problem with my 1999 Indy trail. Today I rolled my sled. I was riding down a ice/snow covered road today and the back end came out from me and I hit some dry gravel and fliped it three times. Looking at the sled the only damage was a broken windsheid. It landed in the ditch. I tiped it back over and it seemed to be flooded. I let it sit a while. It started and ran fine except now when I give it gas hard off the start it wants to bog out. If I stay on the gas while its bogging it will back fire. Its fine it I give it gas slowly. It starts on one pull and it idels great. I changed the plugs out and that didnt help. I also looked at exhaust system thinking it might be something with that but thats looks good also. I know that carbs need to be cleaned but it ran fine before it fliped so im not thinking its that but im not a expert. Does any one know what this sounds like?

This is the responce I got when I posted my problem. I havent checked it but its an idea. Let me know what you figured out with yours.

Check your clutches, may have burnt the belt a little when it rolled, if they are dirty now could cause that as well

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im having the same problem with mine Inday trail.

Im having a problem with my 1999 Indy trail. Today I rolled my sled. I was riding down a ice/snow covered road today and the back end came out from me and I hit some dry gravel and fliped it three times. Looking at the sled the only damage was a broken windsheid. It landed in the ditch. I tiped it back over and it seemed to be flooded. I let it sit a while. It started and ran fine except now when I give it gas hard off the start it wants to bog out. If I stay on the gas while its bogging it will back fire. Its fine it I give it gas slowly. It starts on one pull and it idels great. I changed the plugs out and that didnt help. I also looked at exhaust system thinking it might be something with that but thats looks good also. I know that carbs need to be cleaned but it ran fine before it fliped so im not thinking its that but im not a expert. Does any one know what this sounds like?

This is the responce I got when I posted my problem. I havent checked it but its an idea. Let me know what you figured out with yours.

Check your clutches, may have burnt the belt a little when it rolled, if they are dirty now could cause that as well
If it was fine before you flipped it and the carbs already needed to be cleaned it is possible that you broke some debris loose from the carb bowl and that is now in the main jet.

The problem I am having is slightly different. I can be sitting still and go to WOT and it will run for a few hundred yards before it starts to cut out. If I let up on the throttle and go down to about 20-30mph I can ride it fine. Once the bowls fill back up I can gas it again for a few hundred yards.

I will let you know if I figure mine out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If it was fine before you flipped it and the carbs already needed to be cleaned it is possible that you broke some debris loose from the carb bowl and that is now in the main jet.

The problem I am having is slightly different. I can be sitting still and go to WOT and it will run for a few hundred yards before it starts to cut out. If I let up on the throttle and go down to about 20-30mph I can ride it fine. Once the bowls fill back up I can gas it again for a few hundred yards.

I will let you know if I figure mine out.
So mine is doing to two different times. It does it off the start if I gun it and if I slowly excel it will do it at about 40-50 mph. Have you checked to see if you have any fuel in your crankcase? Someone told me to check that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just a shot in the dark....could it be a plugged breather in the tank causing it to suck a vacuum on the fuel line during high demand (WOT for 300 yards)? Seems like you covered just about everything else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a shot in the dark....could it be a plugged breather in the tank causing it to suck a vacuum on the fuel line during high demand (WOT for 300 yards)? Seems like you covered just about everything else.
I thought of that. I opened my gas cap and I didnt notice a vacuum. And if there was a vaccume opening the cap should have released it. I did take the bolts out of the crankcase and yes gas came out. but the problem is still there. Next thing is getting the carbs cleaned. Maybe something came loose and got stuck in my jets some where.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I finally figured my issue out. After ruling everything out with the carbs since both of them was getting the same amount of fuel into the bowls it had to be between the carbs and the tank. I had already replaced the pump so I knew that could not be it. Today I removed the fuel line inside the tank AGAIN. I had replaced it when I thought I figured it out last time but I replaced it with a high pressure black fuel line. I determined the only possibility left was that fuel line was collapsing under high speed vacuum. I removed that line and put the old rigid one back in for now. Once I got the line primed again I ripped up and down the field WOT several times with no bogging or hesitation. I will order new line tomorrow and replace it once and for all.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts