Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What coolant is in my 98' Indy? i want to top it off before tomorrow but i know i shouldn't mix coolants so how could i be sure?

·
Registered
710 Posts
It is green antifreeze. 60% coolant 40% water. Polaris makes it by the quart already done at 60/40 for around 10 bucks if you want to go that route. But it has to be 60/40 so it doesn't freeze below zero. That is the recommended mix rate from Polaris in case you decide to mix some up yourself.

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
50/50 protects from freezing to -34f, so feel free to not buy the expensive Polaris stuff and just use good quality ethylene glycol (the green stuff) unless you are really dedicated to riding in REALLY cold temps. If it's that cold, you will find me inside by the fire...

·
Registered
710 Posts
For some reason Polaris call 60/40 in those 500s and 440s. But I agree 50-50 is good till -30 or so. I've ridden in that cold of weather with it snowing, it was not a fun ride but it was necessary to get back to the hotel. I only buy that quart from Polaris to keep in one of my sleds as it has saved me before. 3 years ago I got the overheat signal on my '97 Indy 500 and found out it was low. Filling it up while out on the trail and the reservoir got me back home the 80-90 miles. Found out the cap was bad and there was air in the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys but if there's 60/40 in it at the moment will it gel up if i add the green stuff?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts