Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have been looking around and can not find anything on this. Now as a Cat guy myself, I run into this alot with my ZR600 EFI. In the last 4 years I have wrecked a rebuildt stator each year.

What I want to discuss ehre is the cause? Now I have heard from some people that the housing incasing the flywheel and stator is enclosed except for the timing mark spot. What they said was to put a hole on the bottom of the case to let moisture out if it where to get in through the timing mark hole.

Do you believe moisture really a possible issue from snow? I would liek to just get it figured out so I can maybe have 2 years of snowmobiling instead of breaking down once every year lol.

Thanks guys,

Jess

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
There is a hole in the bottom of the recoil. I think it is a matter of heat, and possibly grit and dirt?

·
Super Moderator
16,783 Posts
I think KC is right, it's more a heat issue than moisture. Some guys have acually spaced the recoil out away from the crankcase to allow some circulation in the stator area to reduce heat. Hole drilling for added circulation is also pretty common. Going to a more durable wire will help, as I'm sure Blaine1 can explain.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been in contact with Blaine, and he is helping me with the stator issue. I just want to learn of a preventive way to help protect it more fromt he heat or whatever.

How do I space the recoil away from the crankcase? I have never seen that done. I assume there must be a spacer available with some linkage to extend the recoil arms?

·
Super Moderator
16,783 Posts
Apparently it's less of an issue than the heat is. I have also seen recoil housings drilled with multiple 3/4" holes to relieve the heat. If it were mine, first choice would be to get better wire on the stator, second to drill holes in the recoil and then use some kind of screening over the holes to keep out debris. Third would be to space the recoil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts