Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got a hitch for my 2000 mercury cougar so that i can pull my sleds around. cougars arent really made to tow as i am sure most front wheel drive coupes are not. however seeing my stepdad pull boats out of the water with his 1.6 liter corolla makes me think my 2.5L DOHC might have a chance

so anyway, i am wondering what crazy things other people use to pull sleds?

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought of that but i dont want to be paying registration and insurance on another vehicle and maintaining that vehicle... i gotta keep gas in my sled on a college budget

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Im using an 06 chevy colardo 2wd 4 cylinder 5 speed pickup. works great! your cougar will pull it, but they are known for having transmission problems.... 600 dollar 4wd S10 or 1500 dollar transmission?......

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the transmission is what i am most worried about but i wont be pulling and racing at the same time... just gonna take it slow and probly use 2nd gear lock out for all the hills

· Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i was thinking newer cavalier and how bamf that would look as a wagon...

· Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
99 dodge dakota v8 4x4, goes anywhere with some BF goody's

· Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
i like my ford, but i love my dodge. haha its comfier and ballsier

· Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
yes they are!

· Chitown Rider
815 Posts
Don't pull with a FWD Cougar. I used to own one. The corrola has more torque and HP than the Cougar which is a pooch imho. The trans will go out and the motor will be over stressed. Blew a rod in my ex's Cougar pulling a dirt bike. Then 2 weeks later after the motor was replaced the trans went out. This car is a POS. Sell it right now. Consumer reports worst car in it's class 2 years in a row!

Do what Cruser said. Get a beat up s10 or ranger. 1990's or so for $500. If it lasts one season it's worth it.

I pull with a 2000 Chevy 3500 express cargo van. Never a problem

· Registered
797 Posts
Ford F250 Harley edition Diesel dont even know the four place enclosed trailer is back there.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.