Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read on here on an older thread that the best pumps were the round and square ones. I currently have the rectangular one on and it seems like it’s doing “ok”. When it finally needs replaced, which one would you go with? Also, if I go with a round one, how would you hook it up to work properly? It seems like it has an extra port.
Thanks! And have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it is a single carb then the square one is the one you use as it is for single carbs. For dual carbs then it is a df52-73 usually which is the newer version of the df52-176. Nice thing about the df52-73 is that it is flush mount unlike the other one. Some of the newer ones have been known to use pentagon style fuel pumps.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it is a single carburetor then yeah most likely unless someone else has an idea. That style mikuni has been around for 40-50 years with good luck. Only thing I disagree on with others is I won't rebuild them not when I can buy new for close to the same price or a few bucks more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve been reading a thread waaaay back on this site, this guy went though and rebuilt his panther 4000, he used a round fuel pump with a single port. Also another member on here said he could use a round pump with two ports just using a “t” fitting to back to the carb.
the reason I’m asking about a fuel pump modification, is that while I’m running my sled on jack stands, revving it up to engage clutches, with track off the ground,is that the fuel pump looks like it’s just barely able to keep up. The line doesn’t run dry, but close to it. It’s a new pump.. and I’ve tried others of the same style with same results. I’d like better fuel volume if possible.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wasn't there a way to take those old single carb 440's and panther's to a dual carb setup? I swore there was a way to make it work back in the day. If so that would definitely help all around not too mention maybe give a little boost? Or am I completely mistaken and that was another sled?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I can do it simply by acquiring a duel mainifold and carbs, then different fuel pump and throttle cables. I’m not sure how the oil pump would connect tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not wanting to hot rod the ol sled up. I think it’s fast enough for the chassis it sits on for sure. I’m just wanting to make it more reliable. By putting a little higher volume pump on it and possible changing over to a slide style carb. However as long as it runs ok with the current set up... I’m happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am always intersted in suggestions... especially from the folks like yourself with the “ lost knowledge” of yesterday. I was a ltoo young when these came out to be wrenching on em. Then when i was old enough to wrench I had little interest in the old sleds. Now I’m 47 and can still wrench and would love to relive my childhood... I have some stuff to learn from you guys for sure!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Idk I was wrenching on them when I was that age and I'm 43. Then again dad made me start rebuilding small block 350's at age 8,lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I’ve been tinkering around with engines my entire life.. after the age of 14 that is. I’ve rebuilt many chevy v8s. I used to drag riding lawn mowers out of the salvage yards, mainly wheelhorses, and rebuild and resell them. Times were tough when I was younger and I done that as an extra means of income. Sleds I’ve not really messed with too awful much.. 2 strokes in general I’m not too familiar with. I mean it’s an engine, requiring fuel, spark and air to run. But they seem to be a different critter and unfamiliar to me. However I’ll figure em out... with some help that is!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Have you redone the fuel lines and the impulse line? I have two Cat machines with single carbs. That impulse line can cause issues with just a few small cracks!

I’ve found the rebuild kits for these pumps to be pretty helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Rebuild kits on a fuel pump cost just as much as a new pump these days though. Just bought another aftermarket df52-73 for the neighbor that cost 17.99 shipped and a rebuild kit was 15-17 dollars. And I've never had an issue with the aftermarket pumps. Even then a new Mikuni pump is 25-27 dollars shipped these days. Put the pump on saturday night and it runs perfect. He had done a rebuild kit from mikuni less then a year ago and it was already shot.

Idk many guys have luck with them and some here as well. For me the cost for a kit vs a couple bucks more for new even if it is aftermarket and not a mikuni is worth it. Pump on that '92 Indy 440 I talked about in your other thread is aftermarket and has almost 10 years on it now with no issues.

But like anything to each their own :)

Yeah good point those impulse lines are something everyone including myself tends to forget sometimes when redoing fuel lines. I've done that only to realize then minutes later after putting most of the tools away and going...DOH! Gotta go and take some stuff off to get to that line and replace it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts