Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've really been enjoying the new direct injected motors, but one thing is missing. That extra cylinder. I've been wanting to make a direct injected 3 cylinder motor for a project I have for some time now, but have not been able to get much help. I spoke to one shop about my idea, and the guy said he could do it. Even claimed it wouldn't be that hard. However, he's pretty much ghosted me now. Every time I email him saying I'm ready to get the project moving, I get no response. Ever.

So, I'm looking to see if anyone out here has a good idea where I could start.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Skidoo ACE 900 is a 3 cylinder 4 stroke direct injected.

I would bet that the Yamaha 1049 is also direct injected.

I think trying to convert an older 3 cylinder to direct injection might be a lot more difficult than your friend thinks. The mechanical side is one thing (porting, new heads, etc), but since there is no existing 2 stroke 3 cylinder computer, that is where you would probably run into the snag. Getting the timing correct on the injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this article while doing some searching this morning. Sounds like what I want to do is definitely possible!

·
Registered
27,197 Posts
If it could have been done right Cat would have done it!
You will need to see about a controller and may I suggest the one with the o2 sensor to learn the mapping to a pre definned air fuel ratio

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it could have been done right Cat would have done it!
You will need to see about a controller and may I suggest the one with the o2 sensor to learn the mapping to a pre definned air fuel ratio
Link has a series of ECU's that can control DI injectors, can do anywhere from 1 to 12 cylinders and will work for 2 stroke, 4 stroke or rotary engines.

Everything I have read as to why manufacturers have not done a 3 cylinder 2 stroke has been pretty much mostly due to weight and packaging. Haven't read anything about not being possible. Heck, if some students at Colorado State University can do it in 2003, I'm pretty sure we have much better tech today.

Honestly, the biggest issue I worry about is oiling. Will oil atomize enough without mixing with fuel to oil properly if the oil system is left stock?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts