Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Vmax 500 deluxe that I'm kind of bored with. I want it to be more capable, but without spending $800+ on a 121 to 136 extension. What popped this idea into my head was when I got an offer for a venture, same year, but obviously with the 136. Originally I planned on using it on my Phazer, (same year, I know I have a problem), because mice totaled my motor. Seized it all up. I've never seen such a thing, so weird. Anyways, I planned on buying the motor for my Phazer and doing the extension on that, but realized I might as well on the vmax, because of the electric start and reverse. Besides, with the extension comes better resale value, and I don't plan on selling the Phazer, I bought it new in '99 and it's practically one of my children. Anyways, I've seen people do it, but only with kits. I'm pretty sure the skid will bolt right in, considering it also had reverse, and is a 500 (not sure if either of these would matter, but id like to think they would). Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the topic, or has done it themselves. Really looking forward to see what people have to say. Tell me what you've got, how you ride, and what you recommend. I'd also like to add that the venture's track is nice, but not as aggressive as I would like. I was thinking a 1.5 inch lug, manageable on trails, but capable off the trail. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll keep everyone posted. Only has 1900 miles, so how bad can it be! 馃槵

Registered
Take a tape measure and measure from the drive axel back and from the inside top of tunnel to the bolt holes used on Venture skid, the see if Vmax is the same, most likely not!
But the tunnel can be redrilled to make it work. Worst would be if you have to drill out pop rivets and remount iner plate.

Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
Discussion Starter #3
Take a tape measure and measure from the drive axel back and from the inside top of tunnel to the bolt holes used on Venture skid, the see if Vmax is the same, most likely not!
But the tunnel can be redrilled to make it work. Worst would be if you have to drill out pop rivets and remount iner plate.
So I measured, and I fit height wise, but obviously not length wise. I have to drill out holes and add sheet metal to the end on my tunnel to mount a mud flap. Everything else should fit after that, its the same length wide, so it won't mess with the heat exchanger. Thanks for the insight!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The mounts them self are probably NOT the same
Ohhhhhh I see now. Most likely not, but I've seen extenders that you can use different pieces of steel to make a connecting bracket on the top of the tunnel. I talked with a buddy who did one but with a 700 venture and a Vmax 700, and he said it worked great. So with all of this information I've gotten from everyone, I'm pretty sure I won't have to put the extension on it, but if I do, It shouldn't be bad. And I can do a little bit of fabrication myself so I don't mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The only issue is if there is a rear heat exchanger?
There is one that goes straight across in the back. My plan was to make a sort of cage around it, so the track doesn't affect it. I'm not studding the track, so I should be fine, but I don't want to risk anything. Picking the track and skid up tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted. Most likely going to start working on it this weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
No need for a cage but it needs to have the snow HIT it to cool.
My thought was to just make a cage with like quarter inch bars so snow can get in, but if the track hits it I don't have to worry at all. Just to be safe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Finally finished it, and she came out GREAT. Drilled holes in the tunnel for the drop brackets and everything else fit fine. I'm now working on clutching, and somehow I messed up reverse, so I'm fiddling with the linkage. She's definitely getting there! We got about 6 inches of snow Tuesday, and I finished Tuesday night, so I got a little riding in then and almost all of yesterday. She didn't skip a beat. I haven't extended the tunnel yet, so that's next. I can't sit down or I get sprayed from my own track. I'm putting it out about 10 inches, to make it seem longer. The track sticks out 7.5 more inches that stock, but I want really give it the mountain look. I'll link a picture if I can figure out how! Also the heat exchanger is fine, still gets hit with plenty of snow, and no sign of the track getting anywhere near it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks! the worst part was the chain case. I always tell myself to take more pictures, and I never do. I'm almost positive I have it done right right now, but the reverse linkage has a ton of tiny adjustments on it, and I need to mess with that. Otherwise, she does wheelies now and carves 100x better. Totally worth the time and effort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts