Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 97 Vmax 700 been having issues with snow coming in threw vents and getting on the belt causing slipping. My question is what vents can I safely block/cover? My other question is I bought some belts from Yamaha sports plaza threw their website and they sent my some 89L series belts versus the 8CH type that was on it. 8CH being a topcog type and the 89L being your standard smooth. Both have the same diameter/wheth but I have notice this 89L belt really likes to be warmed up good before you can hammer or it will slip unlike the 8CH which seem to be alittle more forgiving. I forgot to mention, I washed the new belts as outlined in some other threads before use also.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the 89l is slightly thinner and is a different rubber compound and made by a different supplier than the 8ch. did you contact ysp about the error? curious to see how they stand behind their sales.

i would recommend in the future to change the belt out for the 8DN. some minor clutching changes is all that is needed to run this belt.

as for your venting issues, i would be reluctant to reduce airflow on the clutch side as they build alot of heat anyway and need all the flow they can get. heat is what will destroy both the belt and the clutch. perhaps some screening of sorts on the inside of the hood, like petscreen to reduce the snow from coming in. or if you added venting in the bellypan area just ahead of the clutches you could block the hood vent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.