Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a few questions i have a 94 yamaha vmax 600 and i was doing some racing today and i was wondering what could get it out of the hole better its sorta slow. Ive been thinking about putting a smaller top gear in but that's about it.
i have got it going bout 90 today on a trail witch is plenty enough for me right now
id just like some more get up and go

thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
lower gearing will help your launch , it will reduce your top end as well:)
if you change you track to a more agressive one ,it will help as well , just sort of expensive, just to increase your launch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking of just changing the top gear a tooth or 2 smaller and keeping the bottom the same.

·
Registered
26,191 Posts
Yep the Yamis were all over geared. By droping a tooth (and maybe a new chain?) will really wake up that motor! The other thing is to get a new belt and get it as tight as possible.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yup, I agree, new belt & gearing down will launch the yami out of the hole alot quicker & get you to top speed quicker ,but you will sacrifice top MPH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should you gear down the top gear or the bottom one? The Yamaha dealer here said to gear down 1 or 2 teeth on the bottom gear for more get up and go, not the top.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yup, I agree, new belt & gearing down will launch the yami out of the hole alot quicker & get you to top speed quicker ,but you will sacrifice top MPH.
actually on the vmax's you will GAIN top end by going down a tooth... They were vastly overgeared out of the crate.

·
Registered
328 Posts
dropping teeth ont he bottom will make the sled so gearing would give more topend. so you must of misheard or the guys an idiot. gaining a few teeth on the bottom will have the same effect as losing some on the top. but your better off losing some on the top since youll have to pretty much gain two teeth on the bottom to equal one lost on the top. and its best that you replace all the gears and chains when changing out gears, or atleast the chain with one gear, stuff thats worn from old gears can be bad int he end when new parts arnt replaced as a set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts