Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright I am a little confused. Are you saying I need to go up on the # on the main jet. Before it had stock 156.3 jets and now i am at 147.5 and it seems to run the best yet. Before with stock stuff it only had half the power it does right now. It has the same rediculas power but after just short rides it seems to get loaded up and needs to be reved up and cleaned out then it goes back to running correct. I just put brand new BR9ES in it and they have a faint baish color on one side. It currently has the main jets 147.5. std was 156.3 the std pilot jets 52.5 and the jet needle is at 1.5 std. After running it up and down the road a couple times than parked sitting at idle it only gets 100 degrees which I think it will run hotter once its road for a few but the radiator I an using seems to be working just fine.
You are my only connection to someone who knows what there talking about. I am taking what you say about smocking a piston seriously cause I have no desire to rebuild this thing and I think by only running it for short periods is saving the motor. Tell me what I need to do so I do not blow this thing up. Like I said it is running like a raped ape currently but what will happen when I take it out for a long ride. Thank you very much for the information your providing

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
Again if the plugs don't come out cardboard brown, but white instead it is too lean.

A 4 stroke just wont make as much power if lean, A 2 stroke will just load up fuel in the crankcase and wont rev out if too rich, but if it goes lean and or gets too much air it will get so hot instantly it will melt the pistons!
Don't change anything and with it running, spray around the carbs and crankshaft and see if RPM goes up or not!
Post a pic of plugs after as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK KC and BC I rode it for a few minutes and it again ran great but I am still not satisfied about the plugs. I did spray around carbs when it was running and there was no change in the idle. It is smocking a ton but the plugs are still on the white side. Here is the plugs after maybe 10 minutes of use and it is running around 100 degrees. I have a video but it keeps saying it is to large to upload. It shows how much the thing is smocking. Another thinb is do you think it will go back to were it was fouling plugs but it is getting plenty of oil. Currently i am using this oil should I be using different oil? I want to figure this out so I can go out riding. Again thanks guy for your help

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,301 Posts
Those plugs are showing crazy lean, I would definitely go bigger a size or two on the main jet. One high speed pass across the meadow was all it took for me to put a hole in a piston and my plugs looked like that. Learn from our bad experiences!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Those plugs are showing crazy lean, I would definitely go bigger a size or two on the main jet. One high speed pass across the meadow was all it took for me to put a hole in a piston and my plugs looked like that. Learn from our bad experiences!!
Thats crazy cause it started before changing any jets not getting oil on clutch side thats before i did anything. Since then ive been increasing the jets starting at 45 now im at 50 and now its not getting any oil on both cylinders even though its smocking pretty bag especially when im in the throttle... are you guys shure its not something else.. how can it smoke so bad and not show much on the plug.. i did do a compression test after last ride and they both say 130ish.. i have switched carbs from another set when i changed jets a couple sets ago. No difference. Why does mixing oil in my gas not make a difference in how plugs look. Shouldnt i be able to mix oil in my gas and be good. This whole situation has got me wondering

·
Super Moderator
17,301 Posts
The lean condition burns off all the oil. White plugs mean the air/fuel is super lean, as it's hot enough to do just that. A jet size of 50 would seem to me to be a pilot jet and not a main jet. You mentioned earlier that the stock jet was a 156.5. I would get those back in there and then do some testing from there.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Did you ever bleed out the oil pump like KC and I said to? There is a screw on the oil pump itself that bleeds out the air in the system. Air in the system will cause lean issues as well. Meaning no oil is getting to the cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
There should be a philips head screw with a gasket instead of a washer remove it carefully and then I blow into oil tank till it squirts out full stream!

Your plugs are white because they are new?

Don't get miss lead by the smoke, when I fire up my sled for the first time of the season in a mater of seconds you can't see at all in trailer!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok guys im going to put the origional jets in today, as for bleadimg the pump. There was plenty of oil coming out of the line coming from the tank. I see the screw on top wich i removed it when i had pump off and used carb clean to clean it then put it back together. And with it running the line going to the fuel pump was dripping oil. What else do i need to do to it. I will remove the screw and oil should start coming from the screw hole. Correct.?

·
Super Moderator
17,301 Posts
You shouldn't have to completely remove the screw, it is hollow with a hole in the side. Loosen it, watch for oil coming around it, when that happens, tighten it back up.

With mixed gas already in the tank, you should be good to go. Keep using mixed until you KNOW the pump is working properly!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well today I pulled the screw out of the pump and it instantly started leaking oil from all around the screw so I let it leak for a minute then tightened it back up, once again I pulled hose from oil tank to pump and it flowed out just fine. I then pulled line from oil pump to fuel pump blew it out then filled the line before reinstalling it then let it run for a minute and oil was dripping were it connects to the fuel pump. All seems to be working just how it should. Then I removed carbs and with the origional carbs then put the origonal jets back in. Once it was running I then drove it around for a while, it is back to running rough with way less power like before. Still after running then sitting at idle the head only gets to 105 degrees. But still white plugs. And now it is running like shit just like before. I have no idea what is going on so now I have 152.5 jets so I am going to put those in and take it out for a longer ride and watch my temp and not let it get real hot then see how the plugs look. I just cant understand why now that it has the stock jets in why does it still have clean plugs. Its like there is something else wrong cause it started with only one side not appearing to get oil and now with stock jets it still seems to not be getting oil. Isnt there something between carbs and block inside the carb boots. There has got to be something else wrong cause this all started cause one side stopped getting oil before I did anything. I pulled the plugs one day and put new ones in and that is when I started noticing that one side stayed white while other side was starting to look fowled. As for the pilot jets there longer and have holes running down the length and the float bowls have to be removed to change them. The mains can be removed by just removing the big bolt on the bottom of the bowl then there right inside. Does it mean anything that when i cut the oil line going to the fuel pump gas starts pouring out and I have to turn the pet cock on gas tank off to stop it from flowing.

·
Super Moderator
1,979 Posts
OK Lets start over
First lets address the problem, no oil to one side
There is a line coming out of oil pump to the fuel pump and from there it mixes and goes to each carb.
If you plug the hole on fuel pump and run it does oil drip out from line to fuel pump?
If so it's good!
Next jetting, drop the Pilot jet as well as the jet needle, raise the E clip
Leave the mains alone
Wipe off your old plugs and check them for spark, put them in and run it
As for temp, forget about it! Use your temp gun to tell if Both sides are warm.
If this gets it to run better, and the plugs come out black (they should with premix)
THEN you can drop the mains a size and carefully run it wide open for a half mile or so and hit the kill and brakes, stop and pull the plugs right there!
What do they look like?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks cool hand for the picture. But i am still wondering why one cylinder is running so lean. I put a lower pilot in yesterday and a lower main 52.5 now the thing is basically like before. Running rough but seems to run betrer with reving and cleaning it out. At high revs it seems to make more power. But like before the one plug is looking like oil is getting to it yet that same cylinder is looking as clean as new. There has to be something making that cylinder run so lean besides the jetting. Itts like before when i started asking questions. Clutch side looks like no oil is burning and other does

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
What about this. I have a 2" pipe running from my origional header to a polaris 500 4 wheeler muffler. And there is a very small exhaust leak at the block that leaks black oil right were it meets the block. No exhaust is visible just black oil leaking. Thats the problem i bet

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I just knoticed it this morning and it leaking in between the 2 cylinders. I bet thats the problem. One side needs a exhaust gasket were it meets the block

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No im not using the origional pipe. No way to fit it in such a tight small area.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts