Snowmobile Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
will i just be getting the part in the second pic. or is something different with this setup. each one of these came from a different spot in the bowl. Or will i get multiple things when changing the jet size

·
Registered
26 Posts
By looking at the pics on babbit they show that part as the jet pilot at 152.5. Now I did finally got out my microscope and did see on the jets in pic 1 do have a very faint # 5 on both of them but i can not see any other #s. so my earlier ? has been answered so what i thought was the jet im replacing was right so sorry for my ignorance

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do they look like the link I gave you or are they separate?
I would start with about a 140?, but get your oil dialed in and then read the pistons to tell how far down you can safely go down.

Now please realize that as you get this dialed in at some point you will feel this motor come to life (HP may DOUBLE) as you get leaner! DON"T press your luck! It will get better and better, STOP look at plugs and pistons!
You can go too far real quick!

Oh yaa JCCATS you are not kidding about the hp increase, The couple times it did start to run right it did come to life and the hp did practically double and it actually started pulling front tires off the ground from a dead start. I sure hope that returns and boy i can not wait

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK guys I made a dumb mistake the little tiny line from the oil pump goes to the small fitting on the puel pump. When I first set it up I had a different fuel pump and it had to many lines coming out. so I bought one for a 95 vmax 600 and It had the right amount of outlets. Well because the line is so small I thought it was a overflow. Well looking at it I realized that there was no way for it to get any oil and the thing smoked like crazy at first so I didnt realize that the little tiny hose went to the smallest output on the oil pump, I have 2 other doner sleds of the same year and looked at it and I now see that line goes to the oil pump. Hope that wasent a big factor in this problem. itleast I only ran it for a short time. The clear line goes under the carbs to the block and the blue line now goes were the blue line with a screw in it is.. Dumb mistake

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another question I have is, Does my way of connecting the oil and gas cables to my gas pedal do what its supposed to or do I need another way of connecting them.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is a video of what I am doing
Oh yaa JCCATS you are not kidding about the hp increase, The couple times it did start to run right it did come to life and the hp did practically double and it actually started pulling front tires off the ground from a dead start. I sure hope that returns and boy i can not wait
Sorry its KCCATS

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
You will need to make sure the carbs are syncronized. Meaning they must open and close at the same amounts. I usually just "eyeball them" up. It's usually close enough to work right.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
If your pistons are black across with no washed area, be careful going leaner. There should be a thumbnail sized area of washed piston where the air/fuel enters the cylinder at the intake ports. The richer the mix, the more washed area there will be. A piston that is black all the way across with no wash is running lean and could get hot enough that you can melt holes in the piston crown. The spark plug should be cardboard brown, a white plug may also indicate potential damage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your pistons are black across with no washed area, be careful going leaner. There should be a thumbnail sized area of washed piston where the air/fuel enters the cylinder at the intake ports. The richer the mix, the more washed area there will be. A piston that is black all the way across with no wash is running lean and could get hot enough that you can melt holes in the piston crown. The spark plug should be cardboard brown, a white plug may also indicate potential damage.
Good knowledge!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To give a reply about how its running. I have 2 doner sleds a 94 vmax500 and 96 vmax 600. WEell I took the carbs off the of the 94 and they were like brand new never touched and clean as heck. well put them on and it runs alot better and gets it. So I am taking it to Bundy Hill tomorrow and Il see how it runs

·
Super Moderator
1,859 Posts
Those don't look bad, I have run much worse!
It was kinda blurry when I zoomed in.
Since you were able to run it for an hour, do an oil usage test!
Fill oil and fuel completely, run it.
Measure what you used, do the math!
1 qt of oil to 12.5 gallons of fuel is 50-1, thats about what you are aiming for.

Now Pics of it and or Video of it

21 - 39 of 39 Posts