Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to use a motor from a 1998 vmax 600 to make a go kart. All i have is the engine, coil pack, and carbs. I am trying to get spark but i dont quite understand how it works. The engine has two plugs coming out. One plug has 6 wires the other plug has 2 wires. Will i even be able to get spark?

·
Super Moderator
107 Posts
Ha, i doubt it. You'll probably need a lot more stuff. Like CDI box, wire harness to the ecu computer. Not sure what is all needed but I doubt you'll get much with what you have currently.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Welcome
Um NO!
You will need the rest of the sled!
Many have done this or golf cart.

You will need, all of the wire harness to go from motor to CDI and the kill/ignition.
You need the exhaust and carbs!
You will also need the driven clutch and jack shaft.
The chain case would come in handy to gear it down.

Remember that motor turns 9000 RPM and makes 90 hp!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome
Um NO!
You will need the rest of the sled!
Many have done this or golf cart.

You will need, all of the wire harness to go from motor to CDI and the kill/ignition.
You need the exhaust and carbs!
You will also need the driven clutch and jack shaft.
The chain case would come in handy to gear it down.

Remember that motor turns 9000 RPM and makes 90 hp!
Are there any chain driven clutches i could put on the shaft for the snowmobile?

also, is this harness all i would need to have spark?

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Dont see the ignition switch or the coil.

No the clutches are belt driven
You would need to go above a #50 chain to even come close to handling that kinda HP!

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Sounds like a go except you can't run it without a belt much less no clutch!
You need to incorporate the Exact distance apart and in line
This is the real power that a snowmobile makes, in the clutches!
You wouldn't get even a light weight chassis to roll till that engine hits 4000rpm and really makes POWER at 8000!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have just completed the same type of thing. Small buggy with 95 vmax 600 engine. I have the complete wire harness including all the extras, cdi coils ignition everything and it works great, its all conected to a 91 polaris trail boss gearbox running the origional clutches. That gives me forward reverse neutral and low gear. everything works great im just having a problem fowling plugs and I think its because of the tors system it has. I have connected the blk and wht wires together but I still fowl plugs pretty quick. Anyone have any ideas

·
Super Moderator
107 Posts
Fouling plugs is usually a jetting issue. Have you readjusted your jets in the carbs for your altitude and temps ? Sled engines run good with stock jets at temps from -10 to around 20 f. Otherwise new jetting is in order.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fouling plugs is usually a jetting issue. Have you readjusted your jets in the carbs for your altitude and temps ? Sled engines run good with stock jets at temps from -10 to around 20 f. Otherwise new jetting is in order.

Steve
Well guess I explained it wrong. It acts like it has fowled plugs but when i took them out earlier they were pretty clean not really fowled and after reading the tors system messes with the timing, after doing a bunch of reading it is the tors system not letting it rev. I was out running it a little and a couple times it had unreal power and throttle response but then after a few seconds its back to the way it was so it sounds like its the tors system kicking in all the time. Is there another way of stopping tors. I have the wht/yel wire pluged into the blk on top of carbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To answer your ? it is all stock from the sled and nothing has been adjusted on it. the 2 cables gas/oil are just hooked to a cable from the foot throttle

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
If it is stock then you are really way to rich, unless you only use it at 20 deg.
If you had the chart you would see that with every 15 deg or so the main jet goes down as the temp goes up!
Never mind what the plugs look like at this point, look at the top of the piston.
The top should be all black with just a tiny clean spot around each transfer port!
TOO clean is TOO rich, Gray not black TOO lean

·
Registered
26 Posts
before I take the carbs apart do you have any idea what jets i will need. I live in michigan and I ride up north were the temp is around 70 to 80 degrees on average, what size jets does it have origionally if you have any idea. I have never taken apart carbs that have flat slides but its probably not much different than the others. What about the tors do you think it is causing any problems cause even when I put new plugs in it does not make any difference in how it runs. Or do you think the different jets will keep the tors from kicking in? I want to thank you for the help you have offered with my problem

·
Registered
182 Posts
I looked up the jet size in the shop manual. It is going to depend on what sled the motor came out of. Stock Main jet for a 600 XT is a 152.5 Stock in a 600 ST is a 162.5. So, when you take the carbs apart, let us know what size the main jets are and then I can look for what size you need for the temp you are running it in. Also, what is the elevation.

Just pull the 4 screws off the bottom of the float bowl and then you can access the jets. The main will be in the center. The number will be stamped on the bottom of the jet near the hole in the jet.

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
have you looked in the how too section

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alright I took carbs apart and OMG the main jets on both carbs were practically clogged with little blk looking material. The jets are 152.5 on both sides. I can not read a 1 but I see 52.5 on both. That is some tiny writing had to get a magnifying to see them. Can you tell me what mikuni carbs they are so i get the right jets. The carbs have been taken apart before me cause the screw were half stripped out and torqued way to much, had to use little vice grips to break them free. I did not take the slides out cause I was not sure if taking all the bars apart I they have a adjustment that i do not want to screw up. Let me no what you think

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Do they look like the link I gave you or are they separate?
I would start with about a 140?, but get your oil dialed in and then read the pistons to tell how far down you can safely go down.

Now please realize that as you get this dialed in at some point you will feel this motor come to life (HP may DOUBLE) as you get leaner! DON"T press your luck! It will get better and better, STOP look at plugs and pistons!
You can go too far real quick!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didnt see any link about plugs, mine are white for about half the center part. the pistons are just blk all over no clean spots.

·
Registered
182 Posts
KC,
We have two people talking about different model years here. Arthurp2 has a 95 model year engine.

Arthurp2,

You have Mikuni TM38 carbs on that motor. The jet chart that I have only goes up to 60 degrees F. So, KC will be able to come up with something closer to get you in the ballpark to start with. At 60 degrees at your elevation, they are calling for #150's with a needle jet in position middle 1.5
position.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts