Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2002 Viper SRX's. The only difference between the two (other than color) is electric start on one of them. Each has about the same mileage and are maintained similarly (plugs, belts, etc.). Yesterday was my first time out this season and both sleds ran great. We did about 80 miles. My issue is one of the sleds used about twice the amount of fuel as the other. One sled used about 3/8 of a tank and the other used about 7/8 (according to the fuel gauge).

I was wondering is anyone knows what I could look for to resolve this issue. I am thinking that it might be running too rich but I didn't notice any obvious smell of excess fuel.

I realize that a lot of fuel consumption depends on the rider and such but that is just too big of a difference.

I will also note that when I took the sleds out of storage this particular sled was not running very good (would not stay running and throttle was sluggish). I pulled the carbs and cleaned the main jets. Once I put it back together it idled perfectly and very responsive to throttle. I suppose that I could have missed something or messed it up when I put it back together?

Thanks,
-Tim

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would start by checking float levels and making sure the float valves are sealing off properly. Sounds like you have a carb letting fuel just flow through it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes it is the simplest answer ... the fuel gauge is off. I just went and filled both sleds. One took 6 gallons (approximately 13.3 mpg) and the other took 7.2 gallons (approximately 11.1 mpg).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts