Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 RXL runs excellent except it has a short in it some where. Since its EFI the sled will quit once the battery is dead. It is NOT the alternator. The sled runs all day long, but when left over night the battery will slowly die.

Ive disconnected the handle bar warmers, gas gauge, spedo, lights- battery still dies. Not the problem.

I was going to dissconect the ignition and see if that will solve it, but when I was screwing around with the sled I noticed that when the key is in the off position and the kill switch is depressed; when I dissconnect the battery I can hear the EFI module click. When I reconnect the battery again (with the kill switch depressed and key to off) the EFI module will click again. Does this mean my short is in the EFI module? I ask because if the kill switch is depressed and the key is in the off position than there shouldn't be ANY complete circuits in the sled and therefore the EFI module should not click when I connect the battery. If this is the case how would I go about sereaching where this short is? Is there a chance the short is in the ignition switch? I don't think so because the kill switch shouldn't allow the circuit to be complete even if the ignition is faulty.

Help!

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
I'll disconnect my battery tomorrow and let you know if mine does the same... doesn't sound right though. If the machine shuts off with the kill switch you wouldn't think the problem is there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tbis info may help too..

When I turn the key to "run", the fuel pump kicks in and pushes fuel, once the lines are full, it shuts off if you don't start the sled. When I have the kill switch up and I turn the key run and the fuel pump kicks in and you imeadiatly turn the key to "off" and kills switch down, the fuel pumps keeps running until the lines are full!

to me this means the EFI or fuel pump still has a completed circuit even when the kills switch is down the key is in the off position. Am I right?

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
how old is your battery.... have you tried just taking the ground off for the nite.... and for the efi module clicking when you connect the battery sounds normal to me the battery runs the efi even when the sled is running

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how old is your battery.... have you tried just taking the ground off for the nite.... and for the efi module clicking when you connect the battery sounds normal to me the battery runs the efi even when the sled is running
Brand new battery.

Why would I take just the ground off for the night? What would that tell me?

And yes if the sled key was on the "run" position and kill switch up, than that EFI clicking when I connect the battery makes sense, BUT it clicks when the key and kill switch are in the off position..! Do you mean this is normal? I have never had any other EFI sleds to compare it too so I don't know

·
Registered
608 Posts
sounds to me like you do not have a short but someone may have been monkeying with the wiring. You are correct there should be no click when you connect the battery with the switches off. Sounds like the EFI relay is getting power when it shouldn't , Remove the handlebar pad and look for a sign someone has messed with the wires. The handlebar kill switch is unique on the RXL as there are 4 wires as opposed to the normal two. The extra two wires are to control the EFI relay. If someone changed out the kill switch with a conventional switch they would have had to join the wires for the sled to run. Seen this before. If those wires are joined instead of going through the switch it could cause your problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds to me like you do not have a short but someone may have been monkeying with the wiring. You are correct there should be no click when you connect the battery with the switches off. Sounds like the EFI relay is getting power when it shouldn't , Remove the handlebar pad and look for a sign someone has messed with the wires. The handlebar kill switch is unique on the RXL as there are 4 wires as opposed to the normal two. The extra two wires are to control the EFI relay. If someone changed out the kill switch with a conventional switch they would have had to join the wires for the sled to run. Seen this before. If those wires are joined instead of going through the switch it could cause your problem.
I wish I knew this 2 summers ago when I bought it. I was told it had a short in it when I bought it, but I never thought it could be this hard to find.

I will look for that switch tomorrow. Too dark and cold tonight. Sounds like this could be it as the 'kid' I bought it from did do a bunch of work on it and literally everything he touched I have had to re do from the electric start to the gearing..

Thanks a ton for the help.

RXL- please let me know if yours clicks when you connect the battery with the kill and key off.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think everyone should bow down & thank the efi GOD himself MRHOLMQIEST! Nice job ,I was going to say some monkey got in there & messed with the ign., but I like how said it way better,glad to have you on this forum! Thanks mrholmquist ,from Mighty Quinn.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think everyone should bow down & thank the efi GOD himself MRHOLMQIEST! Nice job ,I was going to say some monkey got in there & messed with the ign., but I like how you said it way better,glad to have you on this forum! Thanks mrholmquist ,from Mighty Quinn.
I use to ride a RXL when it was new, but now that this one is 18 years old the gremlins are going to show.Haven't had to work on a EFI before .Mrholmquist has made it a lot easier & less frustrating on where even to start with theses machines .Thanks to the EFI god, mrholmquist!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't make a sound .. I even put my hand on the relays to make sure I couldn't feel anything.
lol..... this is great to hear.. I swear I have been fighting with this sled and its ability to kill the battery for 2 winters... Finally going to fix the SOB today :cheeky4:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have 4 wires going to 2 through a connection.. I have 4 wires going into 3 wires. Here is a picture. Is this still wired wrong? I am going to go outside and try disconnecting this connection. If the EFI doesn't click when I connect/disconnect the battery I am assumeing this is my problem correct?

Just found out that my battery died while not even connected to the sled at all last night. F*ck.. I put a brand new battery in the sled last week, left it over night and it shorter almost completely dead.. but it was -25, so I think she froze..... damn I am starting to hate this sled.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i am thinking the brownish wire is a ground so its going into on the one wire and coming out of the other wire back into the rest of ur wiring. reason for two on the one end. hope that made sense lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok, so I think I need to re wire the kill switch...

I have comming out of the sled
3 brown wires
1 blue wire with a red stripe
1 solid blue wire
1 black wire
2 red

Here is a picture of it all.

The top connector with the 4 wires going in and 3 wires comming out does not seem to have anything to do with the sled. I disconnected them and the sled's kill switch will still let the sled turn on and turn off.

Now it gets complicated for me.

I'll call the connector with the 1 brown 1 black wires going in and 1 black 1 brown wires s out (that is being pushed up by my thumb in the picture)-> Connection A

I'll call the connector with the 2 red wires going in and 2 red wires going out (that is in the bottom in the picture -Connection B

Scenario 1
Connection A- disconnected
Connection B- connected

When the sled is running:
-Sled runs, but kill switch won't turn it off.

When the sled is off:
-the electric start and pull start will both start the sled if the kill switch is on (up).
-if the kill switch is off (down) the pull start will start the sled, but the electric start won't start the sled (e start is dissconected?).

Scenario 2

Connection A-connected
Connectoin B- disconnected

When the sled is running:
-runs fine, kill switch works.

When the sled is off:
-only the pull start will start the sled with the kill switch on (up). Pull start won't work if the kill switch is off (down)
-Electric start won't work no matter if the kill switch is on or off.

Scenario 3
connection A:disconnected
connection B:disconnected

With the sled on
-runs fine, kill switch doens't work.

When the sled is off
-pull start works to start the sled. doens't matter if the kill switch is on or off.
-electric start won't start the sled, doens't matter if the kill is on or off.

And worst of all with EVERYTHING in the picture dis connected (kill switch wires and whatever the blue wires are), the EFI STILL clicks when I disconnect the battery and re-coonnect it. Infact, the fuel pumped kicked in... !

Holy... someone help me figure out what this sled's kill switch is supposed to look like? Maybe RXL could you take a picture of yoru seld's connections to the kill switch for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
the wiring in the photo looks like it is correct. Sorry I see no problem there. Sorry to dissapoint but I was just a hunch based on past experience. Something is causing one of the relays to stay energized and therefore keep the ECU powered up which is ultimately draining your battery. This is the click you are hearing. Either a wire or a bad relay , we have to figure out which.

there are three relays located near your right foot when you are sitting on the sled. Two of them are blue and they are identical however they serve different functions on the sled.

One is the EFI relay and it can be identified by the color of the wires going to it.

black, yel/blk, red/blu , red/blk, red/yel.

The other blue relay is the fuel pump relay and it will have

red/w, pink , purple

Locate the pink wire and the purple wire and you will be looking at the fuel pump relay.

If the EFI relay is defective and stuck on you can easily check by switching the two blue relays with each other. If the relay is stuck the fuel pump will now start to run constantly. If you find that then you have surely found your problem. Replace the relay.

If not you will need to do some tests with a test light and or a multimeter to see if one of the relays are receiving a constant signal to be energized due to a bad wire.

If either the EFI relay or the SSO (self shut off ....brown ) relay are remaining energized when they are not supposed to it will cause the ECU to remain powered and not go to sleep when the sled is sitting overnight thus drainiing the battery.

You can pull the EFI relay and the SSO relay out one at a time and see if you still hear the click when the battery is connected/ disconnected. This should help to figure out which relay is the culprut. If you find after removing one or the other the problem is gone you know that it is either the relay or the wires going to that relay.

If you find nothing after following this post I will explain what I want you to check with the multimeter.

Mighty Quinn thanks for the support :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the wiring in the photo looks like it is correct. Sorry I see no problem there. Sorry to dissapoint but I was just a hunch based on past experience. Something is causing one of the relays to stay energized and therefore keep the ECU powered up which is ultimately draining your battery. This is the click you are hearing. Either a wire or a bad relay , we have to figure out which.

there are three relays located near your right foot when you are sitting on the sled. Two of them are blue and they are identical however they serve different functions on the sled.

One is the EFI relay and it can be identified by the color of the wires going to it.

red/w, pink , purple

Locate the pink wire and the purple wire and you will be looking at the fuel pump relay.

If the EFI relay is defective and stuck on you can easily check by switching the two blue relays with each other. If the relay is stuck the fuel pump will now start to run constantly. If you find that then you have surely found your problem. Replace the relay.

If not you will need to do some tests with a test light and or a multimeter to see if one of the relays are receiving a constant signal to be energized due to a bad wire.

If either the EFI relay or the SSO (self shut off ....brown ) relay are remaining energized when they are not supposed to it will cause the ECU to remain powered and not go to sleep when the sled is sitting overnight thus drainiing the battery.

You can pull the EFI relay and the SSO relay out one at a time and see if you still hear the click when the battery is connected/ disconnected. This should help to figure out which relay is the culprut. If you find after removing one or the other the problem is gone you know that it is either the relay or the wires going to that relay.

If you find nothing after following this post I will explain what I want you to check with the multimeter.

You sir, are a very intelligent person. I will check the relay's tomorrow. I'm in northern Canada so the sun sets at 3pm.. no light left and too cold!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

red/w, pink , purple

It was a stuck relay switch! Thanks for finally ending that ordeal. I really appriciate people ,like you who, who are willing to help another.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts