Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few threads related to this issue but wanted to reach out for some further advice. For the last two years, I have used a fair amount of Stabil all season as well as when putting the sled away for the season (with fuel in the tank). Each fall I have had to take the sled in as it bogs and barely runs..both times the needles have been stuck. Is their any thing I can do at the end of the season to prevent this? Should I drain the tank? Would spraying carb cleaner work? Not an expnsive fix but annoying. With Ethanol going to 15% I see this problem persisting!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there really is no substitute for a thorough pre-season cleaning of the carbs. i have had varying degrees of success with stabilizers, didnt seem to matter if it was stabil, seafoam, startron or any others. i have had excellent results using 100 low lead aviation fuel. i syphon what i can from the fuel tank, add about 2 gallons of av gas and run the sled until warm and the smell of aviation fuel is present in the exhaust. not a fail safe method for storage but the success rate is much higher than the off the shelf additives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. As far as the aviation fuel..is it ok to leave the 2 or so gallons in it and mix it with gas in the winter? And where would one get that type of fuel?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
no harm in leaving it in there when you top off the tank as it dilutes it to the point of no effect. fuel is available at any airport, the smaller ones are usually more easily accessable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Poor Idle

Started snowmobile this year and found out with choke wide open, middle cylinder only fires. back off choke a little bit and the first and third cylinder fire, but the middle cylinder doesn't. Could water in the fuel cause this problem? Need help - thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
more than likely its just dirty carbs. you will know if water is present in the fuel by taking the time to remove the bowls from the carbs without loosing too much fuel. sounds hard, but its not. water will show evidence of bubbles in the fuel in the bowl. plugged carbs is pretty much a standard these days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you for the info,stange that certain cyliders misfire at a cetain sequence.is there any other way to clean carbs.herd that you can diconnect fuel supply and send a mixture of gas,carb cleaner and wd 40,did you ever hear of that?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i started a thread awhile back on carb cleaning for the yamahas. find it and it should help. maybe the mods could sticky it. whats happening with the alternate cylinder ignition is your actually flooding the one that was firing and adding enough fuel to the other two that were not firing to get them to light. not a believer in concoctions that might work. heres my theory: its a long walk back and pistons and cylinders are spendy. you try the home brew and let me know. in the mean time, i will take the time to properly clean the carbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts