Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! I was looking into buying a polaris sled somewhere between 1999 and 2001, a 500 or 600. Many of the sleds ive looked at have variable exhaust(VES). I was wondering if they are troublesome as far as clogging, sticking, or matinence. Do the benefits offset the bad? From what i know oil for the VES is double the price. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
the VES is not troublesome at all just clean them every 500 miles or so. i use NAPA gasket remover to get the sh!t off. it's only two bolts to remove them. a VES motor makes way more power than a non-ves motor. 10+ HP

·
Registered
711 Posts
i have even heard with synthetic oil you may only have to cleam em every 1000 miles. the only downside is the cost of the oil. butother than that i agree, its a good set up

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Right , Dano. USE SYNTHETIC! I clean my RAVE valves on my Doo's once a season. With dino oil I had to clean them up to 4 times a year.

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
seg, would you say the Amsoil Interceptor is the best for my new 600 XC? Of what I've read, that's the way to go with VES engines. OB

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am thinking about buying a case of Amsoil oil but if I don't use all of them up in a season, would ithe oil still be good as new for the next season, assuming that oil bottle seal has not been broken?

Also my Polaris manual said that I should premix a quart of oil with first full tank of gas for engine break-in, in additional with oil in the injector system. Is that correct?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
That is correct, the first tank should be pretty rich. Oil won't go bad from sitting like fuel will, especially if sealed.

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
wxmn6, which model and color do you have? Where in upstate do you live? I'm originally from the Jametown area. I have the anniversary model 600. Haven't quite figured out this picture stuff yet. OB

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started using Polaris exhaust valve oil when I bought my 700, but I have since switched to Amsoil Racing 2000 and will never look back. I noticed a slight power loss at around 500 miles, took the valves apart and found them to be full of gummy deposits. I cleaned the valves and switched to the Ams and have been much happier. Oh, and it's a couple bucks cheaper than the Polaris!

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
What about for break in? Should we use the Polaris VES to allow the rings to seat or start right out with, say the synthetic Amsoil or Klotz? I'm going to run the Interceptor once it's broke in, but really initially worried about the break-in period. Thanks. OB

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing ... I am thinking about draining the oil tank and fill it with Amsoil Interceptor. Is this fine to do? Also, how difficult would it be to drain the tank?

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
I'm not sure that is the best thing to do until about 500 miles. The synthetic coats the walls so well that it won't let the rings
seat properly, ultimately hindering top performance. I'm probably going to use Polaris VES for the first 500 mi along with a 50:1 pre-mix in the first tank full; unless the dealer or someone quite knowledgable informs me differantly.
Smallengineguy, what is your expert take on this?
wxmn6, Piece of cake, if the tank is full, unhook everything on top of the tank, then unhook the tank, put a big rag under tank to catch any oil when unhooking the hose, take the hose off the bottom last and plug with finger lifting out of the sled. Prop-up the oil line or it will go everywhere. Dump out the tank. If theres not much in it, it might be easier to use a cup and take a little at a time out of the out line, open the cap to vent. Hope this helps, I haven't seen my sled so not sure if all this is accurate or not. OB:(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to take another look at the sled and see if I could drain the tank. The Polaris VES oil is synthetic, but Amsoil Interceptor is synthetic too. IMO I would use the oil for break-in that I intend to use all of times. But if anyone with great knowledge about oil and don't agree with my theory, please correct me. Thanks.

Edit: I also don't have any Polaris oil for pre-mixing the first tank of gas. I would be concerned about running with both Polaris (in oil tank) and Amsoil (pre-mix tank). So I'd rather run with same oil in two different tanks.

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
"wxmn6" refer to "dano" under thread "oil for break in". He has some great break-in steps that I will use for mine. I'll have to check with the dealer to see what they put in my oil reservoir and tank. Hope this helps. OB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts