Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back, the Jag died on the trail again. After towing it home, my wife and I decided it was time to upgraded. Texted a buddy and a long story short, struck a deal on a 2002 Z570 SS ESR, 2001 Panther 440 ESR and an enclosed trailer. The Z has just under 1k on it, the Panther 2,500.

I'm amazed at how much better these sleds ride vs our 1996 AWS 1 machines. Smoother, better/easier steering. And the power. That Z is quick! Very surprising for a fan! The Panther is pretty quick too with the dual carb'd 440. Electric start and reverse have been very nice additions. Our shoulders and backs enjoy it.

A few pics. We're excited to get out there more! Did about 25/30 miles this past weekend.

Snowmobile Vehicle Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Snow Snowmobile Tire Vehicle Car
Snowmobile Snow Automotive tire Sports equipment Vehicle
Snowmobile Snow Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! While certainly not the "newest", it's quite a different ride from our other sleds. Now I see why so many of those ZR3 chassis machines are out there.

If any of you have some pull, can you send some colder temps and snow to Southern VT? These warm temps aren't helping!

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are hoping to get out this weekend. Word is the snow is still holding up OK in the woods. But these upper 30s/low 40s are not helping. And the long range isn't showing much in the way of snow.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checking in and hope everyone is doing well!

I may have posted this, but on the last ride of the season, the Z570 lost the top end in a bad way; cooked the pistons and cylinders. Ugh! Found a nice new set of SPI pistons, cylinders, rings ect on E-Bay and installed those. Had the sled running again in May. Ironically, it was hot and humid! But boy, felt good to have it running again. My first rebuild.

I think the problem may have been the check valve and a leaky oil line. Both were replaced and the sled is running premix now to ensure the oil usage is up to par. Plugs are cheaper than Full top ends!

I ended up selling the Puma 340 2 up and Jag 440. That was bittersweet as those were our first two sleds. Sold them to a nice younger couple that has a place in Northern Maine; so they went to a good home.

Hoping to maybe get the machines out this weekend. It’s been a snowless winter in VT until recently.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should hit the seals with some spray to see what happens.

KC, I believe it was the check valve and a leaky oil line. Someone used wire to secure the oil line to the check valve. That ended up wearing a hole in the line and causing a leak. I believe between the check valve and the oil line, it leaned out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts