Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of people think of traction as studs or carbides.(or at lest i do). Y not think outside the box. My fried has an old olimpique with a really dull track. I thought, why not just take some lengths of angle iron and put them on the track 5-6" apart. They'd paddle the snow like a son of a bit**.

No idea if this will work, just an idea!:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's why i was thinking aluminum.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
That's the way all of the older sleds used to be, only it was a U-shape, not angle iron. The channeling was bolted to the track with the U opening outward (i.e. bolt through top of U).

I'm talking about sleds in the 70's - that's how I remember it - used to call them "traction bars" or "cleats". Never heard of studding back then. If I remember correctly, they were spaced more like 10" or so apart, and made out of steel.

I would think aluminum would even be worth trying - it would wear so quickly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, i knew that the old ones were like that, but when i thought about it, they seemed more for traction on hard stuff with the middle being inclosed. I was thinking about his idea as more of a paddle.

ps-In a picture of a replacement track, it appears that there is a strange looking cluster of studs along the edge. (in reply to your comment about the studs back then) although i don't know if the factory tracks would have those.

Attachments

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
i'm not positive, but i'm sure they ditched the cleated tracks for many reasons, stick to rubber, you'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Lynx300 said:
ya, i knew that the old ones were like that, but when i thought about it, they seemed more for traction on hard stuff with the middle being inclosed. I was thinking about his idea as more of a paddle.

ps-In a picture of a replacement track, it appears that there is a strange looking cluster of studs along the edge. (in reply to your comment about the studs back then) although i don't know if the factory tracks would have those.
The pic looks like the cleats I was trying to describe. These alternate left, right, left, right, across the center of the track. The shiny fasteners are probably stainless steel rivets.

...wouldn't want to be following one of these, if a cleat came loose... ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, it MIGHT hurt if you got one of those in the face.

I probly will stick to rubber, just something I came up with one afternoon.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
haha, good try, ya, one of those in the face would hurt, bad lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts