Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Ultra 680 Polaris which I purchased recently. I have very oily spark plugs and oil coming out the exhaust. The engine won't idle, it has to be feathered. I took the carbs apart and they look very clean. It's not very responsive on the throttle compared to my brother's Ultra which doesn't have rich problem. I looked over the oil pump, and I do not see an adjustment. Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Poor Performance

Do you have a choke plunger that is not closing or is sticking.With the chokes off pull on each choke cable at the carbs and check for freeplay.I have about 1/8th of an inch of free travel.You may also have a problem with the carbs being out of sync.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oil Pump

The oil pump is adjusted by raising or lowering the cable.There should be a set of lock nuts on the end of the cable.Crack them loose and adjust the cable up or down.There is a set of index marks on the pump,adjust the cable until the marks line up as soon as you touch the throttle from an idle.The one mark is above the nut on the oil pump arm and the other is a slash mark on an aluminum boss in the casting just above the pump arm nut.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Dad has a '97 Ultra and he had to decrease the mains by 3 sizes to get it running well. 1997 was the first or second year of the Ultra and they ran very rich.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Carb jetting

I have noticed that in this forum when ever an engine does not run right the first thing that is recomended is to change the jetting there is alot of other things that can cause poor performance.In this situation this sled is now almost 8 years old and all the sudden the jetting is wrong.I would think that in the previous 7 years someone would have noticed that. I would look in other areas first and only change jets as a last resort.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
locky said:
Hey excess11, dont critcize someone for trying to help. I didnt see your expert solultion the the problem.
I kinda see what he's getting at, though. If it was a jetting problem, it wouldn't suddenly change for the worse. I think it's more of a dirty carb issue....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Set the story srait

I replied with two posts for this persons problems.I was also just responding in general to what I see as a trend with other performance problems.People seem to quick to want to change jets to correct a performance issue.I was not attacking anyone.It could be the jets in this situation maybe this sleds previous owner lived at a lower elevation with more oxygen and sled was jetted richer.A good carb cleaning wont hurt and the jet sizes can be checked at that time also.I would only change jets if all other possibilities were eliminated not as a starting point.

·
710 Posts
I would look into compression test, maybe leak down test as well. But as for the jetting issue, most sleds are rich from the factory. Years of running rich can cause problems and is one of the easier things to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts