Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EXT is hopefully going to sell this week, between $7-800. I want another triple. My cousin left me in the snowdust with his XCR this weekend. I don't want an XLT/XCR, and I would like something a little newer than a 650. I don't think I'll be able to find an Ultra I could afford this winter, but this spring/summer I'll have enough to pick up a deal. Are aftermarket parts still available for them? Triple pipes and clutch work would be first, if it doesn't already have those things. I would not be opposed to rebuilding it and doing some internal work. Any advantages to increasing compression so I would have enough to where I would need to run 91? I want to build a good trail muscle sled, and the 680 is more durable than the 600 monoblock. I'd also look at a Storm, but they're usually more $$$.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, XCR 800 would be perfect, but I ain't got that kind of money, and on top of that, I haven't seen one of them on craigslist before.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually looked harder and found two really nice 2000 XCR 800's, one for $2k and another for $2,800. Waaayyy out of my budget range.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
my advice, sell the sled first then worry about making your next purchase

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to get something better regardless of whether or not the EXT sells. If I can get a job this summer, I plan on saving as much of it as possible. I would probably have enough by mid-summer to get an Ultra. I was just saying that if my sled sells, I would be $7-800 closer right now.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SP was in 96 and SPX was 97, correct? I know the SPX came from the factory with triple pipes and made somewhere around 140 hp. I like the wedge better than the aggressive, but the SPX might be a better option. Are there any differences in the jugs that make one better than the other and more powerful, or could you slap some triple pipes on a 96 SP and have as much power as the 97 SPX?

·
Registered
43 Posts
correct the sp was in 96 and spx in 97 and the jugs on the spx had different porting then the sp but you could throw some pipes on the sp and get almost the same power but the spx would probably be a little bit faster

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are either of those case-reed motors or both piston port? At the risk of sounding ignorant, I want something that's going to be able to make 150+ hp with proper tuning and a few mods. I have the resources to mill the heads to increase comp. if it would help any. I've asked before, but could I do some mild porting on my own?

·
Registered
43 Posts
both case reed and 150 horse is easy on the spx but on the sp its still possible but costs much more money

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay...I've been looking and think I want an SPX. Those Aggressives are really growin on me. Do they handle similar to the wedge's? I really liked the way my RXL handled, and with the Xtra 10 it will certainly ride better. I've seen a couple of them...one was $1500 and the other was $2200. I'd go for the $1500, but $2200 is pretty high for a 97.

·
Registered
43 Posts
they handle the same and the only difference between the two chassis is the hood and bellypan everything else is the same, 2200 is a high price for a 97 you could buy a 99 xcr 700 with ves for that price

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.