Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 98 polaris. The guy told me that it has the red top U.S. built motor in it that has about 106hp. Is this a good motor or is the guy just making this up so i'll buy it? the sled is a 98 polaris it has the XCR body but has the twin cylinder motor in it. He also said that it came that way from the factory. Any help would be great as i'm new to the polaris sleds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the xcr body if for an 800 triple i believe. the red top motor is a 98 xc 600 or 700 twin. i know thats not a bad motor, but i'm not sure why it would be switched

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i found that polaris makes the XCR 600 but thats a triple and this guy said this came this way from the factory but i can't find anything that backs up his story

·
Registered
228 Posts
just an idea can u take the vin number from the body and the vin number from the motor and see what u can match up?? idk exactly how that works, im 16 and dumb lol. i do know though that a xcr is suposed to be a triple, and that a twin us made motor with red heads on it is either a 600 or 700 xc. and i'm almost positive they do not come like that from the factory, that was a motor swap done proly cause he wrecked the old motor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll check the vin # and see what i come up with. He's trying to tell me that it is a racing sled that polaris only made so many of them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When you say "XCR body", do you mean the Aggressive chassis, or Wedge Chassis? If this sled is the Aggressive Chassis with the domestic twin in it, then it's definately not stock. The 1998 XC 600 made approximately 106 HP just like the guy says, it's a very good motor and was top of its class that year for performance. Look at the trailing arms, if they tip in toward the chassis(the mounting position is hidden by the belly pan) and it has the Wedge hood, then I would have no problem believing this guy, its more than likely a 1998 XC 600.

1998 600XC(Wedge Chassis)

1998 600XCR(Aggressive Chassis)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it looks just like the 600XC but it has the XCR stickers on it. I went and drove it last night and that thing is fast and runs strong. I'm gonna pick it up tonight or tommorrow. He only wants 600 for it because he doesn't ride any more and it's taking up space in his garage. I'll post some pics of it as soon as i get.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think it's stolen because he has the title for it and he's a older guy.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Well if you like it then buy it. :D It just seems weird that he claims it came factory like that, but like said before there must of been an engine swap.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yea if it looks like the first one and has a twin red top motor, than its definately an xc maybe he just put on xcr stickers, but everything u described by the picture and the motor all points towards an xc not an xcr. 600 sounds like wicked deal for that sled, i would go for it

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 1998 XC 600 did come from the factory with the 600 twin. The 1997 was the XC 600that had a triple . I own the 98 and would recomend it to anyone. It is a great fast and strong running sled. I love mine! - I got some pics of in in the still shots section- Check em out!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CrazyIndyXC said:
The 1998 XC 600 did come from the factory with the 600 twin. The 1997 was the XC 600that had a triple . I own the 98 and would recomend it to anyone. It is a great fast and strong running sled. I love mine! - I got some pics of in in the still shots section- Check em out!

How fast have you gotten you'res to? and is you'res studded?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have gotten my 600 up to 105 then i ran outta room and slowed down. It did feel like i could have gotten alittle more out of it though- Maybe 108-110?. It had 96 picks down the center of the track also.
-CrazyIndyXC

·
Registered
228 Posts
the only downside of those sleds are the hoods. i had a 98 xcf 440 with the same hood, and i totaled it. just from jumping the crap out of it and hitting woops sections way too hard. i was also like 11 and kinda stupid on it tho. but either way, the skidoo hoods are awesome and can flex and handle that, while the polaris would just crack everywhere until it was wasted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
105 according to the speedo? That's around 85 from a GPS :D
I ran My 600 on Long lake in NY last year and I buried the speedo-on descent ice. 110+according to the speedo, Who knows how fast it actualy was, It kept climbing. The next day I ran with a GPS onboard, and 100 on the speedo was actually 83 , kinda choppy ice with about 4" of fresh snow and warmer temps, so the sled even felt slower. Bottom line, either radar, or GPS for ACTUAL speed can be considered acurate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've run my 99 600 up to a real 100mph(hardpack and -30f), speedo said over 120, lier!!! The big block 600 is plenty fast enough, fast enough to get you into some real trouble.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did'nt say 120 man, I said the SPEEDO READING was over 110, MAXXED OUT and sthe sled was still pulling for more. I know I was'nt going that fast, my point was the GPS proved that the factory speedo is inacurate. Geesh! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts