Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, the mail decided to come in all at once today :D

My PSI twin pipes, V Force 3, and Slp boost bottle came in.

I just want to know how i should try out the jetting at first to get an idea,
Dan told me to try 3 sizes up for the pipes, but do i need to add/remove any sizes when i install the vf3 and bottle as well? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
The reeds shouldn't require bigger, neither will the boost bottle. If it's a concern, start 4 sizes bigger. Jets are cheap compared to pistons. Always error on the side of too much fuel! It's simple to change out the jets to a smaller one if it's so pig rich the sled won't get out of it's own way. Without good manufacturer support, YOU are the research and development for your sled. I would be leery as well.

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan! always know your there to answer my questions!
How can I easily tell if its not getting enough / too much gas?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I assume you know that you will have to do more clutch tuning then anything? Minor carb tuning, should just be a main jet change cause of the higher top rpm.

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know i have to do clutching, but thats difficult where i am.. there arent any shops that have the tools.. so i have to buy a whole pre assembled clutch that i can just pop on.. any suggestions? because theres no was im sending out my clutch mid season lol

·
Registered
477 Posts
Actually there are no special tools needed to tune your clutch. Its actually very easy to change cam arms and a spring. If you call psi they will guide you in the right direction as far as what cam arms and spring to use. It can get tricky depending on if you want to get every bit of power out of your sled. If thats what your looking for then you will have to experiment with different helix and secondary springs as well. Call psi, those guys will work with you even finding a complete clutch that is set for your set up if thats what you would rather do instead of tuning it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
When you put in the biggest jet you feel comfortable with, make a wide open pass for about a half mile (1 km for you metric guys ;) ). Stop and check the plugs. If they are black, you can jet smaller for the temperature and elevation. Keep doing the check until the plugs are a cardboard brown color. That will be safe. Twin pipes are more critical to jetting than a single, you get more HP out of them, but at a cost of having to tune more frequently for temperature and elevation. A jetting chart for those pipes would be awesome, good luck trying to find one. I have had very poor success when trying to get anything from PSI. They have made some really good stuff over the years, but their customer service is very lacking.

It's important to know where the HP is being made. ZRTeeth is correct, you won't get any benefit out of the pipes unless you spin the engine at the RPM the power comes in at, which is usually higher RPM than stock. Changing the primary springs and weights can be done with the clutch still on the sled, changing the secondary spring is also something that can be done without special tools (if it's a Polaris secondary; the Team secondary really needs to have a clutch press to get the snap ring off.)

If you can't get any specs from PSI, you may be able to use specs for SLP pipes for clutching. SLP specs will certainly be closer than the stock specs.

www.startinglineproducts.com

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty clueless when it comes to clutches.. So would i need a stiffer spring for the primary/secondary? and where would the weights be as well as am i looking for more or less weight?
thanks for all the help

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
A stiffer spring will increase engagement RPM. Higher engagement gives you a better hole shot off the line, but sucks in the powder; you dig trenches all day. Different strokes, so to speak. To increase the RPM, you will have to change weights.

The manufacturer will have a recommendation for what weight and spring to use in the primary and what spring/helix to use in the secondary to get the most out of the pipes. If you can get the PSI info, that's the best option. If not, SLP clutching may be a lot closer than having to buy a bunch of weights/springs/helix combinations. You may be able to contact PSI by email and get the most accurate info. I wish you luck.

PSI Power Inc. Online Store

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, believe me ive tried contacting psi.. no luck. Ill try slp, but problem is i wont be able to change the helix myself.

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My secondary is whatever came stock on a 2004 xc edge x 800, i can check tomorrow for sure though, where would it say what secondary it is?

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
If it's a 2004, it's probably a Team TSS-98. The helix is removed from the clutch after the 8 torx bit screws on the back of the clutch are removed. Those screws can be a royal pain. Sometimes heat helps, sometimes a hammer-driven impact driver will break them loose. Use a GOOD torx bit, the cheap ones will round off. Even the good ones will sometimes round off, then you have to drill the head out and hope you can get the shaft of the screw to break loose after you remove the helix.

SLP (and other vendors) sells a dual ramp helix for about 109 here in the States, so they aren't something you stock up on so you can try a bunch of different angles. The stock one has one set of ramps, the SLP has two sets, which is kind of like buying two helix's for one price :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Man, what happend to psi? Back in my racing days those guys were always there to answer any question i had at any time. I tryed to get a hold of the sales rep. that i use to deal with and had no luck. Aperently they cleaned house and started over with new managment. Thats a bummer because at some of the bigger races psi would send guys out in the pits to help tune peoples sleds who had psi parts. I learned ALOT from those guys. I heard good things about slp though. I did get some specs on your sleds engine. I have a home made chart or graph (psi guy gave it to me) that will get you close as far as clutch tuning. Tell me exactly which psi pipes you got or atleast what rpm they run at, and what type of riding you do. Your instructions should tell you where your pipes will be making power. If your not interested in tuning it yourself then you may have to send your clutches out to someone with your pipe specs. That could get costly. Believe me when i tell you, you will lose power if you ride it like it is with no clutch tuning. If you can pull a carb apart then i think you can pull a clutch apart. Don't be intimidated.... DIG IN!!! Everyone on this forum will be MORE THEN HAPPY to walk you through it!

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didnt think changing a helix would be that simple! So i pop off the secondary, and take off the torx bolts on the back of it?

And thanks ZR, Well where i live there are alot of riding styles because we have mountains, flats, and race courses.. so my sled sort of has to be a hybrid, somewhat.

But yes Id love to tune it myself, its good to learn + save money now and in the future.

ZR here is a link on PSI's website to the pipes I have
PSI Power Inc. Online Store

What are your opinions on a used helix, not worth the trouble? Because if i can pick an SLP one off ebay i might save some $ which is scarce after buying vforce+twins.

Ill look online for some helix/spring combos and check with you guys before making any purchases.

thanks again, really appreciated!

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went onto SLP and this is what it gave me for clutch combo..

800 XC Twin, 2002-03 Except PRO-X:

Configuration Altitude Part # Retail

SLP twin pipe 0-3000' 41-245 252.79

Component: Kit Uses:

Drive Spring 40-70 SLP Blue/Yellow

Drive Weights 40-84 (71g MTX)

Secondary Helix 40-50/34

Secondary Spring 7041646 Silver/Blue

Slippery Buttons 40-9 (3)

Thats a lot to spend right now so ill try and find the parts used other than springs,
and also i emailed Bruce from psi to an email address i found online, and he replied, so hopefully he can sell me some psi parts if needed

·
Super Moderator
17,919 Posts
The secondary parts you listed are for a Polaris secondary. Polaris changed to the Team about 2003 to accomodate the PERC reverse. There are also a few Polaris roller secondaries out there that were used during the transition. The Polaris helix/spring/buttons will not work in a Team clutch, they operate completely differently. Use the data for the 2002-2004 800, it lists both data for the Polaris button secondary and for the Team secondary.

http://startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-844.pdf

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I realized the year was wrong, but when I was on the page it didnt have 2004-05 listed for some reason.

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dan, my sled has a polaris clutch, I went and took a look today.
Does this change the simplicity of changing the secondary helix/spring?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts