Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any first hand info on this sled?
We're Doo and Polaris riders but my buddy is looking for
a new sled with some good power and good mileage
and we saw one at at dealer today. Sales guy gave some impressive numbers. Claimed 28mpg ,over 100 top end and said it could lift the skis.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i dont know about mileage but i know that motor is suppose to kick out 110 hp so i would believe it'll lift the skis

·
Registered
34 Posts
I heard in snowteck that arctic testers had er over 100 mph down a icy road in not so good conditions. They say they have 110 hp and get mid to high twenties when it comes to fuel milage. Yamahas rx-1 is a four-stroke, i wander what kinda milage that thing gets.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
HEY ADRENILINE, RAN INTO ONE OUT RIDIN' AND THAT SLED KEPT RIGHT UP, GUY SAID IT DIDN'T ACCELLERATE LIKE A 2-STROKE,
BUT WHEN THE TURBO SPOOLED UP DAMN! SAID HE WAS NOT DONE BUYING FOUR STROKES, BTW WE FUELED TWICE BEFORE HE HAD TO FUEL. SWEET:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info,sounds like a good sled.
My buddy is looking for some good power to keep up with our 700's but wants to keep the gas stops to a minimum.
At 25 mpg you can ride all day on one tank, sweet!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am new to this forum...just bought the T660 turbo touring, but it sits in the garage waiting for snow here in central WI. Sold my Pantera 550 when I found the turbo and EFI at 110HP and what they list is 25MPG. Previous 4 strokes were just to slow. Not worried if there is some turbo lag. Mags say some lag is noticed when accelerating out of turns, but I am one of the sleds enjoying the trails and not in any hurry. Probably will hodl onto it for a couple years and then see what Cat has then. I see for 2005 the only change on this machine is the paint. Happy Trails!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know a person who change snowmobile 6 to 8 times during winter. He change recently his F7 not EFI for a 660Turbo. He is just doing speed. He want to have the fastest 660Turbo, and he have the money to do this. I'm hurry to see this.
This year, He bought first a 800REV, a F7 EFI, a F7 carb and now a 660 Turbo...what is next??!!??

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
hi,

im not too trusty of turbochargers.. specially in winter.. ever seen what can happen if no oil (frozen line)goes to the turbo ?? turbocharger have avery nice effect on cars, bikes, anything with a gaz motor..the the downside is reliability.. and at high mileage you lose that..i asked my local dealer how much does it cost to put a new turbo on that t660 , i'ts 2000$ .ok, so you can get it rebuilted for a third of that price.. but if your riding and doin' say, 55- 60 MPH and the turbine decides NOW to self destruct you see where im going right?

there no air filter between the turbine and the intake manifold thus, the cylinders.. so if at 100 000 RPM (yes thats is correct) the turbine goes in pieces it will be surely sucked in by the engine into the cylinders and destroy that engine..

wich bring me to say that the dealer will replace the engine at the cost of 10 000 $..and the sled is worth 12 000...can. currency thats is

so its a good technology, but the drawbacks are still present and they can be a bit pricy.
though i understand why 4 cycles need that in order to keep up..but what they should do is put small engines but that rev out 2 cycle engines.. like if suzuki would put a 750 cc from the gsx-r race bike in there instead, it's reliable love high revving, and will last forever.

just my opinion..turbos have no place in snowmobiles if you want to buy a sled and keep it forever.

fr0st

·
Registered
37 Posts
race bike motors have no place too in snowmobile....take the RX1 for exemple:rolleyes: :eek: under -25°C 4 stroke is a big garbage on skis. I learn this in vacation last year.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
firestone,

well this is true, bike engine are a big too heavy/big for sleds and they have biggest problem of all

i dunno if the T660 has one but i know a RX-1 doesn't.

a recoil starter!!

heck i know it must be too hard to pull a 4 cycle 4 cylinder engine when it's -30 outside

but if you go to your cabin in the woods and bad luck, you end up with a -45 degrees at night ( it happened to me alot of times) when you go to crank your 4 cyle and the battery ends up dead..what are you do to ? call CAA ? boost it with another sled? yeah i fthere is one. walk home?

for riding in trails and come back home and put it in garage, yeah tere ok.. but never should you see or BUY a ski-doo skandic or any longtrack machine for going when you shouldn't in deep snow alone.. coze if it gets real cold, you won't be coming back on it..

sleds are not ready for 4 cycle... anyways not the way there made right now...it's just for the pollution problem, other wise we wouldn't see them for a while

Fr0sT

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
noooo!!!

don't get me wrong these are good reliable sleds and you can enjoy sledding as much as anybody

it's just like when it will break ( if it ever does) it should be a costly operation

turbos on sleds are like turbos on cars.. if you let it warm up EVERY TIME you go for a ride, and you let it idle (a bout a minute or two) every time your gonna stop for a booze somewhere and you use GOOD OIL and clan air filters for turbo charged engines there should not be anything to fear..it's just that i had my share of experience with turbocharged engines and i must say : if you give it sh!t.. it will give you sh!it back and it's gonna cost ya alot of your well earned money.

turbos need extra TLC guys..anything thats revs at 100 000 rpm does

catwing it should be a god sled just follow these simple (but sometimes painful) hionts to make live longer

oh and if you can, put on a oil pressure gauge on it as well as a temp gauge..at least if something goes wrong you will see it and prevent big damage

i installed oil pressure gauges on all my turbo cars.

have fun !!!

Fr0sT

"Anything I say? What a wonderful philosophy you have." Toe Cutter - Mad Max

·
Registered
323 Posts
fr0st said:
firestone,

well this is true, bike engine are a big too heavy/big for sleds and they have biggest problem of all

i dunno if the T660 has one but i know a RX-1 doesn't.

a recoil starter!!

heck i know it must be too hard to pull a 4 cycle 4 cylinder engine when it's -30 outside

but if you go to your cabin in the woods and bad luck, you end up with a -45 degrees at night ( it happened to me alot of times) when you go to crank your 4 cyle and the battery ends up dead..what are you do to ? call CAA ? boost it with another sled? yeah i fthere is one. walk home?

for riding in trails and come back home and put it in garage, yeah tere ok.. but never should you see or BUY a ski-doo skandic or any longtrack machine for going when you shouldn't in deep snow alone.. coze if it gets real cold, you won't be coming back on it..

sleds are not ready for 4 cycle... anyways not the way there made right now...it's just for the pollution problem, other wise we wouldn't see them for a while

Fr0sT
Being too hard to pull start is simply fixed with a compression release valve. Already used on 4 stroke quads and even on Polaris' 04 700 and 800's.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Millions of vehicles have turbos and drive in the cold weather every day. I have seen turbos quit working, but I have never seen one grenade before. Don't worry about something that has little chance of happening anyways. Just enjoy the sled. Life is too short to worry about every little thing that might go wrong.

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
it's not a grenade

but if you dont give it attention,maintenace and a chance you will get problems earlier than a normally aspirated engine wich cost more to fix than normal

frost

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey frOst - thanks for the good advise. I am new to the turbo and those are good tips. I like to try new things so heck, the turbo is pretty new this year. Sounds like letting it warm up is a must. Good oil, etc. The gauges were a great idea I never though about. Cat does have the oil pressure and overheat light, but not the gauges. Since I have to now find a good 4 stroke oil what brand do you guys recommend for my Turbo. The manual says for -30 to 20 dregees use 0W40, for -20 to30 above use 5W20 or 5W30.

Thanks for the input....

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
catwing,

if you ask me gauges are a must, no idiot light is gonna save your engine if you run out of coolant or oil. of course, for an oil pressure gauge you can leave the original oil light sensor there and still add the analog gauge one. all you need is a T fitting that you screw in the engine and you screw in the sensors on both tips. so that way at night if you do run out of oil the light will warn you and when you start the engine when it cold you can check out the oil pressure and make sur its not at zero

for the temp gauge it's not that easy you can't put a T fitting and screw in both sensors at the tips.. it wont read the right temperature since it needs to be in contact with the coolant flowing.. not like oil which is pressure reading and that is OK for T fittings.

the reason why i NEED and use a temp gauge is because a light warns you thats you have reached a certain pre-determined temprature that is above the normal operating temperature that can be destructive for the engine. which is ok. but, if you have a trouble getting TO normal operating temperature by let's say, the waterthermostat is f*cked up and is locked open (this happens to cars remember) and you dont reach it. you have a problem there. this can lead to numerous problems including the ECU from the EFI will give the engine more fuel just like if it was in warm up sequence..all of the 100 km you would do that day.. which leads to poor fuel mileage, poor performnce ( maybe less noticeable with EFI) and a turbo runing maybe too cool.. dunno what that would do though. and in extrem cold weather this can lead engine problems and tht equals $$$$ all of this because you have a stupid light thats wont come on since it s not over heating.. but with a gauge you SEE there something wrong.. so you inspect it and repair the problem.

OR

you ride your sled and for some reason the engine is running a bit hot.. not to the overheaing point but hot still.. with a gauge you will see it and check out what is going on.

anyways, thats why i put a temp gauge on my old pantera 89.. i didn't like the stupid temp light so i installed a car gauge i bought at canadian tire for 30 $. it even has a back light in it and is very easy to see at night.

Fr0sT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts