Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, first time poster, long time rider.
Ive got a 2016 Polaris SKS that I'm thinking about doing a tunnel cut on. I do a lot of off trail riding on the east coast (VT) but I also do a fair share of trail riding. I want to do the tunnel cut for the additional off trail preformance but I'm worried that reducing that much cooling surface would cause constant overheating. I've seen the difference the front cooler makes compared to the normal RMK but I don't know if that will be enough.
Im thinking, in addition to the tunnel cut, adding a 36" tunnel cooler to try to compensate for the shorter cooling surface. Will that cooler still be effective given that the track isnt throwing snow directly onto it at the rear boogie wheel?

Im looking for people with experience with the kits to give me some sort of feedback to see if its actually right for me.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
I am definitely not a fan of riding with anyone with a shorter snow flap. That's even more true of sleds with a snow flap delete. Anyone behind you will get pelted. And snow that should hit the flap and bounce onto the heat exchanger is lost, so overheating is more of an issue.

I don't know how much of a benefit cutting the tunnel will have. The AXYS suspension is pretty easy to get up on top of the snow as it is. There are a lot of companies that develop mods for lots of bucks and give you very little real change in riding on the snow. I would try to find someone with a similar sled as yours with the tunnel cut and see if it actually does what you want before forking over the $300 bucks it will cost.

JMHO, mind you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,
Thank you for your reply!
My plan as of now is to use the snow flap that I've got already (off an Matryx Indy) with the tunnel cut. The curve of the snow flap should help significantly with the amount of spray even when mounted farther back. Plus 9/10 times I ride last in the group.
I definitely agree that the axys is great at floating from the factory. I found that where I ride off trail I needed more ski lift to be able to better maneuver over obstacles (my sled doesn't live an easy life hahaha) the unfortunate side effect of needing that lift is it takes away from the float. Ive thought about adjusting the limiter strap, but as it stands its all the way out and complete removal is out of the question because of the amount I trail ride.

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
If you do the conversion, give us an update after you ride it. Objective reviews from people that actually take on a project like that can really help others that are in the same type of snow!

With the 155" track being the "short" track out west and with most of the hard core folks riding 163" or even 174" tracks, I have not seen any modified tunnels. I remember when the 144" came out, I was hesitant in going from the 136" to the 144" because it was SOOOO long! My, how things have changed!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
So true. To think, we used to climb those mountains with 133" to 136" tracks!!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I went from a 136" on a Touring 380 to a 136" on a Summit 583 to a 137" on a Renegade BC 600. Baby steps. hehe.

There are many times on the new machine that I know I would get stuck on the previous two.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
You Guys are all a like
Always talkin bout how long Your Tracks are
Guess it's kinda like talkin bout how big your Deck is?

Round these Parts we talk bout how Fast is it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts