Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the boards. I am having a hard time deciding what sled to get and whats the better buy.

Here are the 3 I am looking at.

1999 Polaris XC 700: All stock, 1500 miles. Photo looked to be in great shape. $2000

2002 Polaris RMK 800: now eliminators on running boards, Slp air horn kit on dash, SLP high flow air box, upgraded "BIG BOY" crank, 2 inch paddle track ( is missing a few paddles), Handle bar riser, SLP temp gauge in dash, mechanical reverse, new hyfax. $3000

1999 Polaris RMK 700: 1-3/4" track with studs. 4300 miles. small tear in seat. $2000

I was leaning toward the 99 RMK since I have heard they are very reliable. I don't know how big of a deal the miles are though as 4300 seems fairly high? Otherwise the XC looked great as well, though I would prolly want to mod the track because I think it has like a 3/4 on it now.

what do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
what kind of riding will you be doing theses sleds are like apples and oranges

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Agreed.. If u trail ride, get the 99xc. cant beat the mileage

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mainly trails, lakes, and some hills. We have been getting decent snow here though in MN and i got rid of my 2001 XCF 440 because it couldnt handle the deeper stuff at all. Im also more focused on something that is going to last me a while vs something that is going to need constant care. I've read the 2002 RMKs have crank issues whichs makes me a bit nervous, although he does have the upgraded crank.

I just want something that's an all around good sled. I'm worried the XC is only good for the flats?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
are yup stuck on Polaris? your looking for something like a switchback, crossfire, renagade

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im stuck on used as i dont want to go over $3000 since there are only a few months out of the year to ride here. so therefore, been trying to stick to years before 2003 or so since that seems to be the price cut off. I'm pretty stuck on polaris as i have had pad experiences on other sleds, not to mention they are a bit harder to find here whereas polaris are all over.

on a side note, i do like to catch a bit of air too, which i know kinda takes the RMKs out of the running a bit. I'm thinking the XC is prolly best, i just hate having to wait to go see it haha.

·
PFS-Pray For Snow!!!!!!!!
247 Posts
I would run with the XC. I had two of them and love them. It would be nice to move up to the 800 for the chassis, but the 800's had issues that year.... although it has had the crank worked over. I would say that for the miles the 99 XC is still the best buy, especially if you are looking for something to last you for a while. The liberty motors are solid. If you decide that you need a little more track, you can always bolt on a 136" track extension from Tracks USA for 600. I just got done putting one on and love. Where in MN are you from?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i was thinking about the track extension for sure. like a 1.5 or 1.75 lug. I know nothing about tracks though so I'm not sure does it matter which kit? I was looking at maybe #6 9142C Back Country 1.75 x 15 x 136 .

I'm from St. Boni which is just a bit west of the cities.

·
247 Posts
Truthfully, if you are going to be ditchin or riding trails, I wouldn't go more than 1.25 on the track lug. Your conditions are much like ours, and it seems like the deeper lugs never hold up. I put a 1.25" ripsaw on the fusion and couldn't be happier. I had an 1.5" on my old XC, and it wouldn't hold a candle to this track..... just my 2 cents.

·
247 Posts
If you can find a SKS...it is pretty much a XC with the 136" track isn't it?
Pretty much.... but it does have a 1.5" lug track in most cases

·
247 Posts
Ya that is what I mean just a bigger track, 136"x15"x1.5" track I suppose...do you know what the stock lug is on the xc?
I am pretty sure that they are .75"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i believe they are .75 as well. The only reason i wanted to go with a slightly bigger lug was because my 440 had a ripsaw on it and it seemed to only do OK, but it also wasnt new. I've been looking for SKS as well but havent seen any =(.

·
247 Posts
I would still go for the less miles and stick a track extension on it..... then you essentially have an SKS.

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
my crossfire 6 has a 136x15x1.25 ripsaw, there's no where I can't go!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sweet, well sounds like the XC is the way to go. The RMK needs some work, though he would go down to 1850. But the speedo needs a new cable, and the seat would either need to be patched or replaced.

Here is a link to the RMK. I only have pictures of the XC on my phone.
Polaris RMK 1999 700

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
yea cable or bearings I'd say away from anything that doesn't have a working speedo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i looked into the MXZ 800's which have nice styling, unfortunately there just aren't any for sale around here heh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts