Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have heard all sorts of stories about poor Arctic Cat reliability, especially recently on the F5's and F7's. Frames coming apart, engines blowing, etc.

Please set the record straight...for those of you who DO have Cats...I'm only interested in yr 2000+ Cats. Tell me what (if anything) went wrong and how the dealer took care of you (or if it was out of warranty).

Please, no Cat bashers here...I could care less if your Yamaha lasted for 100000000 miles.....I just want to know about AC right now.

thanks.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
well im very happy with my zl, my zr had some problems but thats what happens when the previous owner dumps it in a slough... i am very happy with my cat dealer though, they treat me really well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We bought two brand new last year, no problems yet. Just one season on them, about 700 miles.

·
back in the game
2,364 Posts
Problems with mine
1. 370 emergency shutoff broke, makes the engine cut-out when you press the throttle a certain way, we tried cleaning carb and whole bunch of stuff to fix it, eventually after a few calls to my dealer, he CAME TO MY HOUSE and fixed it for us. We know our dealer pretty well though, and we're friends with him, but we didn't expect him to make the 45min journey to our house to fix our sled for us.
2. Back bumper on 370 is a big wiggly
- Only other problems have been self-inflicted (hitting things for example) :D

The red ski's really has been Cat's biggest issue, the FireCat's had a bunch of service bulletin's, but that's somewhat normal for a brand new sled....the ACT drive issues have been sorted out.

I wouldn't worry about buying a new arctic-Cat as far as reliability goes, if your looking at an 02 Firecat then just make sure any recalls have been done and that there have been no previous problems with it :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I ride polaris. Cobra is a cat guy. His zr like to eat up gaskets between the pipe and the engine, but so did my rmk. His bumper was a little too Plasticey for me. That eventually broke. BUT The engine was always strong. We changed a chain at 5500 miles as per usual. Took it to the mountains as well.

The local dealer is awesome. i cant explain it. All the polaris dealers i have ever been to have always (in minnesota) treated me like my biz was not important. The cat dealers have always been very cool to me. The exception is a polaris dealer in bergland (cant remember the name right now) MI. He was real cool with me.

Over all AC are good sleds. I may never purchase one but that doesnt mean they are crap. The F7 had some things but again as said above, any new product model will. Just watch the polaris fusions, they will have problems this year.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Had a problem with the flywheel on my 550ZL, but I bought it that way, so I can't really say what caused it. I suspect neglect and abuse (as the brake was rusted closed as well, and there were other issues related to proper care and maintenance).

My local (mom and pop) dealer was EXCELLENT. They saved me $150 by finding a used flywheel for me. The mechanic that worked on it was very friendly, and explained everything to me. Very happy with their service!

Once fixed, my (2) 2000 Cats have been very reliable. No problems at all.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I had a 2003 ZL550 and had problems starting it, but it coudlve just been something wrong with it from the start

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
I've put over 5,000 miles on my 99 ZR... and as Dano said all I ever did was: change the chain, repair the throttle override, once, and fix the gaskets between the pipe and engine block. Loved that sled... but eventually the shocks wore down... and I decided to buy a mountain sled.

Now I have a 600 Mountain Cat (2002) and with 700 miles last season, I never had a problem.

I like Cats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts