Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '87 safari out for it's third run of the new season only to have it let me down for the first time where I am stumped. Half way through a tank of gas it it died. I checked for fouled plugs, to find them luke warm, dry and a dark grey shade. Unprepared for this I put them back in and in one pull started up to head home but wasn't able to get up over 4grand. After an hour to get home the motor wasn't even hot. Any words of advice before I start ripping it apart would be greatly appriciated. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, this was a fresh tank of gas, it didn't flood and ran all the way home(over an hour)the plugs were dry. The only difference was I used premium gas this time. Do you think that could cause a problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
check your fuel pick up line in the tank it might be roted away. same thing happend to us. do you have spark on both plugs? might be running on one cylinder when you drove home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're gonna try changing all the fuel lines they do seem pretty dry also clean the carbs incase something got sucked in there. There is definatly spark on both plugs so hopefully this will cure my ailing sled. Any other suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh no, blew a hole in the top of one of the pistons. I have a spare motor though so not to bad. Best part of this is it was my husband who was riding it and it's mine so his still runs fine. I do appriciate the hand though, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've taken the motor apart, ordered new pistons and rings, gasket kit, new fuel lines,oil filter and lines, noticed throttle cable is fraying so a new one of those. If anyone has any other thoughts as to what could have caused this now would be the best time for us to replace them since we have it all apart. thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
yah make sure to change the fuel pick up line in the tank the often rot away. Appart from that I'd say make sure you have spark on both sides and maybe clean out your carb while your at it and maybe cdi. Im not too sure what else could go wrong but good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks we are definatly gonna clean carb, fuel pump, air box and anything else we can see needs cleaning. We 'll change the fuel pick up line as well. We have strong spark on both sides so I think cdi should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We (my husband and I) were gonna put the top end back together then check for any leaks anywhere. We're on a pretty tight budget, any idea around what they might run us? Do you think if they're the problem it could happen again while we tested them?

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
the seals are about 8.00 each+yes it could burn down fast if seal is leaking bad, im guessing its the pto side? if so you can see the seal but may or may not be able to tell if its leaking. if the carb on the side that burnt down is dirty or plugged up that may be the problem. if its clean, AS SEG says replace the seals. I have fryed my share of pistons because I though I could get by without new seals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks $8 american, shouldn't be to much more here in Wasaga Beach,ON(canada).It's the one on the right when I'm ridin, there's only one carb but it's definatly dirty but I think for that price it's worth it just incase.I only paid $200 for it 3 yrs ago and haven't done much with it and I don't think much before I got it was done either so it's all well over due. If I can get it running like it was before this happened for a few hun then it'll be worth it.(no complaints for an '87)

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Yup, that's the PTO (clutch) side. The only problem is you'll need a clutch puller to get the clutch off to replace the seal. That seal was a common problem on the 377's.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
My father in law has an 87 Stratos...the same piston has let go twice with a hole in the top, the second time about 30 miles after the first rebuild. Think it's the crank seal? Can both seals be changed with the motor in the sled?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that I know pto is clutch side than no mine's mag side.My husbands done seals pto side on another sled but never mag side.We got them today but are not sure what we're gettin into.Can anyone give a quick run through?(eg. if everything needs to come off that side, will anything need to be reset, do we need a sealer, do we have to do both sides,etc.)Any info would be great!

We've gotten so much snow, 6/8 days school buses cancelled, 1 in which us and surrouning towns basically shut down. Need to get'er up and runnin again.

As for jimmyv13, it seems like lotsa things can cause this(lotsa places for dirt and air leeks from what I've read any way).Not 100% but yah I think the motor has to come out for crank seals.Good luck with it.

·
twins rule!
370 Posts
yes the motor has to come out, mark everything you can with permantent marker. the clutch+shaft,mag plate+houseing,remove recoil +mag use a good sealer such as three bond. look everything over well while your in there, take your time it will pay off in the end.
good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts