Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 96 xlt600sp. It has 2800 miles on it.It is about 40 degrees here in mass and when I start it with the choke it takes like 4 times to get a few burps out of the motor then after that it takes like 10 pulls to get it started if I fool with the choke and give a little gas. I put new plugs in it I was wondering if the carbs need cleaning or maybe some fresh gas or is it just and older motor that needs a few more pulls than a new sled?

·
Super Moderator
18,403 Posts
If it has been sitting for a while, pull the carbs and clean 'em and drain the gas and add new. My 1990 650 starts first pull almost always when it's warm. Your sled should too, providing the electrical system is ok and compression is good...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the mechanic said it smelled like old gas. Any idea what the cost would be to clean the carbs on a triple? $2-300? I am not mechanically inclined so I want to bring it to my dealer to have a tune up, have the bearings checked all new chaincase oil, radiator flush any idea for the cost of a tune-up? I also need my rear fox shocks rebuilt there are 2 in the back any idea of price on those. sorry for all the questions.

jeff

·
Registered
711 Posts
True, you are looking at some coin to have all that done for you, but i understand wanting it done right. The coolant prob wont need to be flushed and thus, no radiator. I would suspect to have it all done for you, carb cleaning and all would be about 2-4 hundred respectivly speaking. I think 4 woul dbe on the high end assuming no parts had to be replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just drooped it off to day for service the good thing is the rear shock doesn't have to be rebuilt. He said it is just ruff because its not greased and not wet from the snow. and they are doing a full service including triple carb cleaning for 200 buck I think that is reasonable. Im happy :D just need some DAMN SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts