Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I bought a used Aluminium Mission trailer. I had no choice to remorve the old floor and replace it. This is 1/2'' plywood. I changed it but I found this is a bit weak. My girlfriend told me to let it like that as this had done the job for 10 years for former owner. But with my spare plywood parts I'm trinking to double it. So here is my quesitons:

• Do you think I should apply contact glue between the 2 plywood?
  • Install the seconf one over the fist one without any glue ? ( I'm a bit affraid as there might intrudue water and get them rot faster)
  • Do as the GF told and let it as is?

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Welcome just did this myself, I removed all the 1/2" ply and put down Treated decking (just over an inch thick.

First did you use treated plywood?
If so you're good.
What you could do is flip trailer on its side and then tightly fit full pieces between the beams and use construction glue and deck screws (I prefer the square or torx)

The problem I had was my cross beams were like 30-35" apart!

I just got the bolts for mine in, they are 1/4"-20 torx self tappers, I have to predrill each but they thread in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply. Yes I used Treated wood. Will look into this option . Seems interesting ! I just finished to cut to size my remaining treated plywood. In case I choose doubling option.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I replaced my 1/2" treated with 1/2" marine plywood. The old stuff lasted 25 years, but I would keep a tarp over it in the summer to keep the sun off the wood. The sun just kills it. I primed and painted the wood on both sides with deck paint. It is made to stand up to the weather. The 1/2 inch is plenty strong enough on my trailer. Unless you are using the trailer to carry heavy loads in a small spot, you should be fine with 1/2 inch. You are just adding more weight to the trailer with double the wood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks snomoer! I'm also thinking to use the trailer all year long ( winter with the snow and summer for my motorcycle a huge custom). This will do pressure on small spots. That was my concern about the 1/2 plywood. My trailer looks like yours except this is a 1 place. ( Alu frame and frame pattern)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haul the gray Gold Wing that is in the picture on this trailer without any problems. That bike wet is about 1000lbs. I just don't have it set up for the wheel chock yet. I did the rebuild last fall just as snow season was starting. Next time I need to trailer the bike, I will fit it for the wheel chock. The most I have had on this trailer with the 1/2 in plywood was a sled in the middle and a 750 and 450 motorcycle on each side of the sled. Drove it cross country from PA to WA.

If you feel you need a little more support under the tires, I would just put a 2'X2' chunk of plywood under the tire while the bike is on. The you can take it off when not needed.

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
If you look at the frame you could cut full pieces between the cross beams.
Glue and screw them together from the underside!
Laminating two 1/2" plywood would give you some real strength!

·
John from Washington
61 Posts
Maybe too late to help. My trailer needed 10ft sheets. I bought 10ft, marine grade at a lumberyard because the big box stores did no carry that size. I had the lumberyard cut the wood to size and I dropped the sheets on the trailer. On mine, I used deck stain on top and the green wood preservative on the bottom. Edges are trimmed with track runners to protect the wood from the wet skis....good looking and useful!!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I've always just used treated plywood. Last time I got the slightly thicker than 1/2" stuff they sold at a local lumber yard. I think it was 19/32. I put it on there about 15 years ago. It is due for a change.
I'll most likely change it with the same, but I need to make some changes on the trailer to incorporate the new tie down spots The way it is, I end up either hanging sleds off the front or it rides very hitch-light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts