Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is over the top, but those who know me understand.
I bought myself a Garmin Nuvi 550 for Christmas along with the Ryno handle bar mount for the big Pantara. Now where do I get the Snowmobile Trail Maps? And How do I load them? And of corse how do I function this thing????

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use redpinemapping in my garmin zumo and there is also vvmapping whom I have heard good things about. On my Zumo I got the maps loaded onto a sd card and popped it into the unit then just went into settings and selected the maps. The only downside is you either have to have the trail maps showing or the standard road maps so if your trying to figure out your location in reference to road intersections you need to switch the maps back and forth. not a big deal but is an issue I have run into.

Everyone laughed at me when I put the gps with the maps on the sled but its funny now anywhere we go for some reason they want me to lead the way lol. you will like not having to deal with the maps anymore!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I beleive through redpinemapping right now you can get two state maps for $39.95 and its and additional $10.00 if you want them to load them onto an sd card and ship it to you.

They also give you a good tutorial to show you how to load and find the maps on your unit.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
just orderred the sledgps.com maps. Should be in the mail either today or tomorrow. Payed $50 for a Micro SD for all the maps over the midwest (not just one state like redpine). The main selling point for them was how much more complete the maps seemed over the redpine maps and how I got 5 states included.

·
Registered
588 Posts
has anyone used these maps on ebay?

garmin nuvi sd snowmobile trail maps six states gps - eBay (item 220685719042 end time Dec-19-10 12:54:48 PST)

he claims they will overlay the road maps on certain gps's. I am looking into a Nuvi 500 or 550 also because they are waterproof. I use my old Garmin GPS II handheld now, but it has no maps in it, only a breadcrumb trail to backtrack when I get lost! I fact it is usually in my pocket and I pull it out to check where I'm at in relation to the other points I've marked. Hopefully I've marked enough to get back when I am really lost!

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Any word on those maps from sledgps.com? I'm just about to order them if they're any good for wisconsin and michigan!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Me too! I wonder if we could share it? Can you down load the card to more than one unit?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
or maybe just stick it in a computer, download the SD card to the computer, and transfer it to a second SD card?

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
OK!!! Just recieved them (Stupid USPS, 9 business days later from AZ to WI). Anyway, they are AWESOME!!! To set them up, I just plugged in the microSD, turned it on and boom! It was there! No setting up required. These maps (for my Nuvi 295W) mesh with the standard street maps so I don't have to switch between the street/trail maps. They also include all the intersections (with local club Int. #) on the trails and are ROUTABLE to those intersectons and points on the trails via snowmobile trail!! It even attempts an arrival time. These maps are by far the most complete maps I've seen for at least the state of wisconsin. It is an extreme bonus that it comes with all the states in the midwest. And all for $50... Way better value than Redpine.

I emailed the seller wondering about the slow shipping and he was extremely helpful.
If you haven't already inferred, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO EVERYBODY I KNOW!

Side note about my Nuvi 295W. I would recommend this GPS too! It comes with a Camera (always helps to have one if I'm gonna win SOTM). It also has WIFI connectivity with a weather app, email app, and internet app. So if I come across an inn with free wifi, I can check the weather/email/anything I want.

I bought this unit off Ebay from the seller 'ToughEconomy' for $90. He was a good seller and shipping was very quick. For the price of a Nuvi 500, I can afford to go through over 2 of these babies with money to spare. To waterproof and shockproof, I made a small enclosure out of sheet metal and glued/siliconed plexiglass to the front and put in that stick on foam window insulator to hold it tight/shockproof in the enclosure. Plans are to velcro the sheetmetal enclosure to the dash.

And there is my experience/plans about sleds and gps's.

·
Registered
588 Posts
alexsmudde, you may have just changed my mind about the 500/550. I just looked up the 295 and may be ordering one on the morning! I've seen waterproof cases but that home made "box" with velcro sounds like a good plan. I can get the GPS and maps and still buy gas and oil to go far enough to need a GPS!

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
Yea, I got the GPS for $90 with free shipping (expected ship time 7-15 days, it was FedEx'ed in 3 days). It appears he doesn't have any more but there are others on ebay.

The rig I made is kinda 'redneck',... but I like to call it 'clever'.

I'll take a picture with my gps and upload it. Try and show the quality of camera in it (suposidly 3.0 megapixel).

·
Alex
3,385 Posts

^^ taken with nuvi. Not quite done yet, but you get the concept.

^^ Street maps were turned off, but shows the trails anyway. One is showing it routing me from my house to an intersection near my cabin. Even shows the trail number as the "street" I'm traveling on.

Note: could be zoomed in much further.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
I got to use it today. Very nice to have the routing feature. You don't need to stop at every intersection to figure out where you're going. Just pick a spot, click go, and follow the pink line! We didn't really know where we wanted to go, so we just picked a random point, and it took us there. No more fumbling with maps, just awesome.

As far as the mounting system, That box was epic fail. PS: Velcro adhesive doesn't work below 85*F. Then I realized a much smarter idea. When we bought the IQ it came with a Tank Map bag and I just shoved the GPS in the Map part and that worked much better than the box ever would have. Made it super easy to just pull out the gps and look at all the maps and figure out where you're going and routes to there.

The maps that I've seen as far as accuracy goes- Here in WI the majority of the trails are exactly on the dot for accuracy. But I noticed a few times when I was on the trail that the trail line was maybe 1/8 mile to the side or so. This only seemed to happen when I was on a trail that it didn't really matter because I knew where I was going.

This GPS already saved my Butt once and I'm sure it will in the future. The street maps meshing with the snow maps really helped me find my way out of being seriously lost in Crooked Lake, WI... If anyone else knows this town, they know how epically bad these trails are marked.

·
I Want a Rev
774 Posts
I use redpinemapping in my garmin zumo and there is also vvmapping whom I have heard good things about. On my Zumo I got the maps loaded onto a sd card and popped it into the unit then just went into settings and selected the maps. The only downside is you either have to have the trail maps showing or the standard road maps so if your trying to figure out your location in reference to road intersections you need to switch the maps back and forth. not a big deal but is an issue I have run into.

Everyone laughed at me when I put the gps with the maps on the sled but its funny now anywhere we go for some reason they want me to lead the way lol. you will like not having to deal with the maps anymore!
I use redpine as well...the trail map overlays the basemap so all of the roads, etc show under the trail map.

I used the routing feature last weekend and it was spot on. Pretty cool to simply follow the line and big arrows come up and let you know when and which way to turn.

Maybe it's different on a trail GPS...I use an Oregon 450.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts