Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just sold my 98 zl 500 and went with a 2011 F 570.... I love the sled but I ride on ice a lot and without studs... well you can figure it out :p . my track lug height is 1" and it holds 136 studs... I would like some feedback on the best studs to go with (hardest ones) and the length I should go with. It is a dbl ply track to if it makes a diff. Thanks!

·
710 Posts
I suggest Woody's Gold Diggers and you should be able to go longer. I run a 1.325 on a 1" track and this is border line for max length. A 1.175 should work nicely as long as you have tunnel clearance.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I am no studding pro but i can give my 2 cents on my setup.

I have a similar setup on my 03xcsp 600. I have a 1.25" track with the 1.325 studs. (got them as a gift so couldnt argue on size..)

I would go a little bigger as suggested. Heres the thing at this lug height you are almost wasting your time with studs and adding rotational mass really.

Mine does help and yes we do ride alot of low snow ice rivers and lakes out here. Fox river, IL but its more of a tradeoff. Will it help, yes. Is it worth the $350in studs. Prob not. It helped but only on concrete really. With a smaller track you would see a major difference.

Just dont bury the throttle on ice. IF you dont mind giving up some rotational mass for safety than im all for it. Just letting it be known that studding a large lug track gets pointless at some rate.

Also there is a large price difference in nuts and studs once you go over a certain height 1. 1/4 they get pricey fast i found this out. Like a .10 increase they get you for $.40 cents extra for the taller nuts which hurts the wallet at 120+ studs.

But for saftey i get it. I busted a 360 on the river on the old non studded wildcat the other night so u gotta watch it on ice. If you ride more trail forgt them just think about getting speed before you hit water holes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Consider double PLY on stud length as it will absorb some of that height. Double ply will last longer its just heavier to turn. I have 0 pull throughs on my xcsp have had them in for 2 seasons of hard riding. like the extra security but you will see that on the top end. Double ply track and 136 studs will probably take off 5 mph top end. Not a major sacrifice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was looking at the power point ones from stud boy.... and thinking about 96 of them cuz then its not so much weight and it still gives a good pattern.. Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like mentioned above, I would only recommend picks if you ride paved roads alot, especially since your lugs are 1". In snow, those lugs should bite fine and get you from A to B at a nice pace. A friend of mine has a 2010 570 F-series and he rides deep snow in fields and on roads all the time and has no problem with the track alone and no picks. On his road he hit 97 on packed so you'll get around nice either way. In fields, he can move at a good rate too, faster than the other guys we ride with on their 340's, 440's, and 540's. Haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.