Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have a 2003 Yamaha RX1 mountain that I bought last year. Previous owner put on a new track priorto selling. Track is really loose about 3”. Tried tried loosening rear axle 19mmloss ended easy 17mm finally got off but was stripped. Now I tightened both14mm nuts through track window and tightened track to about 2” but it is as tight as they will go. What do I do? Don’t want to drive it with a floppy track.
Thanks
For any help you may have.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
check the part number on the track and make sure it is the correct length. Might be a 154" on a 151" skid

Yamaha had 151", 153" 154", and 156" skids. Chances are it is the wrong track for your 151"

154" and 156" are more common lengths

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check the part number on the track and make sure it is the correct length. Might be a 154" on a 151" skid

Yamaha had 151", 153" 154", and 156" skids. Chances are it is the wrong track for your 151"

154" and 156" are more common lengths
I just checked the receipt and it was indeed a 151x15x1.25 track. When I search up the 03 RX1 Yamaha site says it should be a 121x15x1.25 track. So I’m guessing it is the wrong track? Sorry I’m new to sled mechanics.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
As he said Mountain snowmobiles tend to have longer tracks. A base RX1 will have a 121" track. Need to look it up for mountain model or take the vin number to a Yamaha dealer and have them run it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Difference between a 121 vs 151 is huge. It not only would not tighten up, but it would have a big loop left over. You said you had RX1 Mountain in the first message, which is suppose to be a 151"

Can you post a picture of it and the track?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I would take the vin number to a dealer to verify. Also to me it looks like it is a 154" he put on there would be the 3" you need to tighten it up. Call a dealer they are open on saturdays they can tell you exactly within a couple minutes what track should be on there and the length vs trying to just guess since someone removed all the oem decals as well.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Yes, the track will have a part number on it. Usually 2, the OEM number (e.g. Camoplast) and if made for Yamaha, the Yamaha part number.

3" difference in length is about 1.5" difference in tightening. It might have worked when it was first installed, but tracks do stretch a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I called the Yamaha dealer in my city. They told me according to my VIN # that my sled is a 2003 RX10-RH -R which is suppose to have a 121 track on it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
So look at the track and find the part number and see what it is online. If anything you can take that information and then sell that track as installed but never run decided to go another route with track. So you can recoup some of your money you will spend on another track. 1.25" Ice Attack would do nicely on that snowmobile if it will fit.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Be interesting to find the length of the track. Use the part number, if you can't find the cross-reference, I think I have one here.

The three "RX" models that the track fitament guide shows are:

RX-1 (inc ER and LE) 2003-2005 15" x 121" x 1.25" with 2.52 pitch
RX-1 Mountain 2004-2005 15" x 151" x 2.0" with 2.52 pitch
RX-1 Warrior (inc LE) 2004 15" x 136" x 1.25" with 2.52 pitch.

Since the track isn't overly long, if you're suppose to have a 121" on that, I would guess that the track you have is 129"
However, it looks like the tunnel is extended, maybe someone converted it to a Mountain (151") ?? Then maybe took a track off a Sidewinder (153")?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So look at the track and find the part number and see what it is online. If anything you can take that information and then sell that track as installed but never run decided to go another route with track. So you can recoup some of your money you will spend on another track. 1.25" Ice Attack would do nicely on that snowmobile if it will fit.
So found the number and it’s a camoplast 9004C which is what I thoughts a 151” track. But that’s the thing is I did ride it all last season, thought the track was loose at the end of season cause I heard a rubbing noise that’s why I brought it in the shop for maintenance and tightening of the track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Be interesting to find the length of the track. Use the part number, if you can't find the cross-reference, I think I have one here.

The three "RX" models that the track fitament guide shows are:

RX-1 (inc ER and LE) 2003-2005 15" x 121" x 1.25" with 2.52 pitch
RX-1 Mountain 2004-2005 15" x 151" x 2.0" with 2.52 pitch
RX-1 Warrior (inc LE) 2004 15" x 136" x 1.25" with 2.52 pitch.

Since the track isn't overly long, if you're suppose to have a 121" on that, I would guess that the track you have is 129"
However, it looks like the tunnel is extended, maybe someone converted it to a Mountain (151") ?? Then maybe took a track off a Sidewinder (153")?
Found the number and it’s a 151” track

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
So.. You have a 121 sled with presumably an aftermarket tunnel extension and a skid from a 151 yamaha. (the stock rear bumper is a lower round bar, yours looks almost like an i-beam and aftermarket) My bet is that someone assumed the same mounting holes are used and just bolted the skid up. (I don't know if they are or not, just assumptions) If the mountain skid actually mounts slightly further back, the track would have worked until it stretched a little bit.

Assuming any of that is true, the fix would be re-mount the skid back a little bit. (ideally using measurements from a rx mountain)

Hopefully they changed the gearing/clutching also, otherwise you might want to take a look at that. And if you can find a later model RS chassis seat, it will bolt up with minor trimming. It is a little higher, and your knees will thank you. (Mine hurt just looking at that, had my Warrior for a season before I had to change it.)

·
Administrator
18,591 Posts
Was the tunnel extended? That is also a tell-tale sign. A long track suspension in a short track chassis will stick past the end of the sled, making the snowflap about useless. So the tunnel has to be extended to catch the snow for cooling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts