Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to adjust my track. There is a little to much slack in it now. I have always brought it to the dealer to just have them look over it before i go on a trip. I just wanted to know how to do it myself instead of paying for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Jack the back end up by the bumper. Hang a 10 pound weight from the bottom of the track or place it inside the skid on the track. Measure from the bottom of the rail to the track, this gap should be about an inch for most sleds. Adjust tension at the long bolts by the rear wheels, loosen the lock nuts first.

Start the sled up and spin the track a few turns with the throttle, do not touch the brake. Check the clearance on both sides between the rails and track guides. If the track isn't centered tighten the side its too close too till the track spins centered.

Snug up the lock nuts.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Don't forget to take the weight off before you spin it.

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
Yeah you just want it to just be tight enough not to ratchet. Then to adjust loosen the lock nut and tighten the bolt. To align, just get the gap the same on both side at the tunnel/track in the back.

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
I have a question to add. Was adjusting mine tonight and had the proper sag on both sides on the rails, measured adjusting bolts so they were equal too, and when I got everything tightened back down and ran it in the air, it seemed to go off center again. Should I just get it centered and not worry as much about it being dead on equal on both sides? What about equal tightness on both sides? 1 rear idler wheel seems to ride along the lugs tight and the other has 1/8 to 1/4 gap. All other bogies run at good distances from the lugs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a question to add. Was adjusting mine tonight and had the proper sag on both sides on the rails, measured adjusting bolts so they were equal too, and when I got everything tightened back down and ran it in the air, it seemed to go off center again. Should I just get it centered and not worry as much about it being dead on equal on both sides? What about equal tightness on both sides? 1 rear idler wheel seems to ride along the lugs tight and the other has 1/8 to 1/4 gap. All other bogies run at good distances from the lugs.
For sure dont care if the bolts are not equal.. You want the track to be center and in doing so the bolts may not be equal.. Center the track with rails and track guides. And after that see where the wheels are at.. If they look like there rubbing get back to us..

Oh and if the track is center.. that means both sides are equal as far as tightness..

JT

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Thanks, I'll work on that tomorrow night. I wasn't sure how equal they had to be for tension and all. I figured it was better to be centered than not. I also don't want to have problems either so hence all the questions.
So center it up first, then do tension, right?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Doesnt really matter I just get it to approximate tension, then align it. Aligning it should not really affect your proper set tension.

·
Registered
26,131 Posts
Remember you don't want the track too tight! Just tight enough so it don't ratchet. And you want it centered in the tunnel!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Remember you don't want the track too tight! Just tight enough so it don't ratchet. And you want it centered in the tunnel!
Ya, thanks. I really don't think there are many tunnel issues, I'll re-check. My biggest concern was the noise from the back of the track and the on edler running along the lugs. Didn't like that especially when the other side had pleanty of room to run.

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
Well, it's better than what it was. Pretty close to perfect, at least the idlers aren't running along the lugs like they use to. Man that sure is a touchy task.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts